Quick Lake Levels

Generation Schedule
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Home Made Slit Foam Flybox

15 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I decided to make up a batch of fly boxes for my brother and I. Buying a bunch of cliffs bugger barns was too expensive. I made 2 sizes - one the same size as the traditional bugger barn and one about half the bugger barn size. I think i am going to make the slits go the other direction on the next version of the larger box. It is about right length for the articulated streamers that i fish.

photo-1.jpg

I am going to get a cutter made to cut the outside & slits for the foam - the prototype looked like a drunkard (aka me) cut the slits.

FYI, it is not worth your time to make just one of these - you get killed on the shipping of the boxes and foam.

Posted · Report post

What kind of foam did you use and where did you find the clear boxes?

Posted · Report post

I used neoprene closed cell foam. It looks like cliffs used Eva foam (craft foam).

I ordered the boxes from mouser electronics. It is actually a flambeau box. P/n 4040-2. They are $4 per box

Posted · Report post

Those look really good man- most of the homemade boxes I have seen look like a mix between an IED and a scrap booking "treasure box." (as my mom calls it)

Posted · Report post

I made a big one the other day since I dont want to spend 50 bucks on a Cliffs Beast, this one is the same box they use and some craft foam glued in, cost me 9 dollars. its 12"x3"x10" for reference

169303_10150990163552949_254660991_o.jpg

Posted · Report post

Forget the box, I'm looking at all them bass flies...

Posted · Report post

Great Idea...Why spend $40 on a repurposed screwdriver box with a bit of foam in it.

Posted · Report post

Forget the box, I'm looking at all them bass flies...

There's a few in there. Still a large area of blue foam I can see so I must tie some more.

Posted · Report post

I know the feeling... its a sick compulsion. My boxes are so full I usually cannot find the 3-4 effective patterns that I regularly use for all the junk flies.

Posted · Report post

Yup, I know the feeling. I have whole boxes full of flies that have never even seen water haha.

Posted · Report post

What are the dimensions of the big one?

Posted · Report post

I have used sheets of craft foam that is sticky on one side with pretty good luck too. I don't bother with the slits, too much hassle sticking them back in on the stream. It is easier for me to just run the hook up inside of the foam.

I have a few boxes that have wasted space in them. I add a few strips of the craft foam and can pack several more flies into them.

I like the clear boxes, you can see what is in them.

Posted · Report post

The big box is 9 x 4.5... same box as the bugger barn.

The little box is 4 x 6.

In the little box shown, I put 14 slits for blue gill poppers. That box can hold all of my bluegill poppers and spiders. I made a small box for bass poppers as well - 6 slits. Its enough to hold 2 yellow dahlberg divers, 2 white dahlberg divers and 2 black dahlberg divers. If i cant catch fish on one of those 3 flies it is time to go drink. I like only having foam on one side of the bass box - plenty of room for the deer hair bugs. The deer hair bugs get crushed in my bugger barn.

For trout fishing i carry - 1 big box of articulated streamers and 1 small box of trailer flies.

The silver sharpie lines on the slits make it 10x easier to get the hook back into the slit. I like this style of box because it doesnt get all ratty like the ones where you have to stick the hook into the foam.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the ideas. I may just take a regular tackle box sleeve, remove all the compartments, and glue some foam in there. That would be good for bigger flies. I also already use tackle box sleeves for flies anyway. Something a bit smaller would be ideal though.

Posted · Report post

Used a box from a Fish Itch deal a while back:

post-12656-0-86436100-1344205705_thumb.j

post-12656-0-57747300-1344205732_thumb.j