Best Waders For The Price

SamC489

Last winter I was asking the same thing and got a wide variety of answers, some of which were for gear that I am sure is great, such as high end Simms, but which cost way beyond what I was looking to pay. One common point was get stockingfoot breathable waders which I did.

I ended up looking at BPS and Cabelas house brands and since I live in StL, trying them on. Sizing was all over the place. I ended up buying a BPS house brand pair of waders that was stickered at $ 159 and on sale for $ 99. I bought BPS house brand boots, lug soles, $ 59 list, on sale for $ 29. I have used the waders a few times early this year and was perfectly content with them. I dont expect them to be as good, nor to last as long, as a $ 400 name brand pair. They keep me dry and the breathability is quite good.

The boots are a funny fit. I am normally a 12 or 12.5. I bought 12 because anything smaller was too short for me. Size 12 in BPS's "normal" width is very very wide and BPS doesnt make anything narrower. I have worn them a fair amount both this past spring and wet wading this summer. I need to wear bulky sox with them, and needed a pair of gaiters to keep all the gravel out. The lug soles are fine and by my newbie standards, they grip well. Far far better than sandals or gym shoes.

When these things wear out, if I am still wading I will buy better boots and might buy better waders. I'd say I am happy with the waders and content for the $ 29 price with the boots. I totally agree with the need to try waders and boots on in person.

This is not "do what I did", but hopefully different perspectives will be helpful to you.

Larry

• Members

Patagonia watermaster waders are awesome.............check Ebay you can get a pair very reasonable. I've had Simms and I've had Patagonia, no complaints on either. Durability is the key, both are a quality product that holds up to tons of abuse. If you are someone that is out and about fishing all the time, consider spending as much as you possibly can, I'm not trying to sound like an elitest here, but quality equals more quality time on the water.

An expert is a person who has made every possible mistake in a small field of study.

Patagonia watermaster waders are awesome.............check Ebay you can get a pair very reasonable. I've had Simms and I've had Patagonia, no complaints on either. Durability is the key, both are a quality product that holds up to tons of abuse. If you are someone that is out and about fishing all the time, consider spending as much as you possibly can, I'm not trying to sound like an elitest here, but quality equals more quality time on the water.

I'm with pruett. Durability for sure. If you've been tolerating leaky waders, just go for an outing this time of year - the wet crotch and feet won't just be a nuisance.

If you're sold on flyfishing, and you don't want to be buying them ever other year, or with cabelas getting them replaced every other year on warranty, then put the money up. You'll save in the long term, even just on shipping to get warranty service multiple times.

Ultimately, the comfort and durability of the higher end (not just top of the line in the higher end) will pay off. You won't be sorry.

• Members

I just sold a pair of Bone drys that I have had for 12 years with no leaks and barley looking worn. But as I have gotton older they became very limiting on range of motion and the boots were heavy and clumsy. My wife said they were gonna drown me lol. So my choice was between the frogg togg hellbenders and cabela's dry plus g2. I based my decision on three things, pockets, extra reinforcment and reveiws. I found a reveiw from a guy that actually bought both and he said the frogg toggs hands down. More features and better fit. So after being very disapointed in the cheap hodgmans that I hoped would make it until santa clause could come (leaked on 4th trip, wifes leacked first trip) we now have frogg togg hellbenders on the way........... probaby could have sprung for some simms if someone would not have just bought another rifle :wacko:

"To him, all good things, trout as well as eternal salvation, come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." -Norman Maclean

• Members

Update on sizing, Toggs arrived today and of course the big kid I am I had to wear them around the house and yard. I ordered the XL regular, Im 6'3" 230 and they fit perfect. Plenty room to layer clothes but not bulky. My size 12 feet fill the booties, could stand to be a tad bigger but will be ok.

"To him, all good things, trout as well as eternal salvation, come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." -Norman Maclean

Sure hope the Frogg Togg waders are better than their rainsuits...I and everybody I know that tried Frogg Togg rainsuits were NOT happy with them.

X2 As long as you stood still and didn't move they we're fine, but start moving around (casting, bending over, or anything else) and the water got pushed right through them. Miserable POS they were.

Are the waders made from the same crap?

• Members

I have a rainsuit I bought to ride in, Top half works good but is protected by fairing and windshield, bottoms of legs will soak through from road spray if you ride very long. BUT its totally different material then the waders, toggs calls this stuff dri pore Its a 4ply laminated material like orvis uses.

But here is the way I look at it, breathable means just that, air must be able to pass through the material. if air passes through then under certain conditions moister will too. My beloved bone drys would leave you with a damp butt if you set down in the water for any period of time, SO I just didnt set in the water. Breathable waders are disposable, that is why ebay is loaded with simms and orvis waders.