Outboard Water Separators?

J-Doc

You would have to define "gas" since 10% or E85 is still legal form of "gas"

Sorry, I don't buy this. 100% gas means no alcohol. Unless you can prove otherwise, I will believe what the sign and what the station owner tells me. Ethanol is added to the fuel at the terminal. It is added to the truck transporting the fuel to the stations. So it's very easy to see how a station could get pure gas.

and you by law don't have to post warnings or advertise your gas contains ethanol unless it is over 20%.

That's not correct. It varies by state, but Arkansas demands a label on the pump if the ethanol content is anything over 1.5%

http://www.ehow.com/list_7237477_states-sell-e10-gasoline_.html

John B

08 Skeeter SL210, 225F Yamaha

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This falls into States vs Federal law thing since George W signed a law saying that it was not required. I don't KNOW for sure since there is so much disinformation in marketing but there a two rules I follow that I will never buy water in a bottle and I buy the cheapest gas. :yaeh-am-not-durnk:

• Members

For Wrench again. thisis very informative. Thanks, and really appreciate sharing of experience.

If not using boat with builtin tank for a few months, since you can't actually run it entirely empty ( Or maybe you can..but how?)

Is condensation in tank / fuel lines a problem with an "empty", or nearly so tank..and what is cure for that?

thanks again

For Wrench again. thisis very informative. Thanks, and really appreciate sharing of experience.

If not using boat with builtin tank for a few months, since you can't actually run it entirely empty ( Or maybe you can..but how?)

Is condensation in tank / fuel lines a problem with an "empty", or nearly so tank..and what is cure for that?

thanks again

Condensation and/or moisture absorbtion over the few months of Winter isn't anything to be concerned about. If it is just a gallon or two in a poryable tank the best thing to do is dump it out and start fresh in the Spring, but most folks just top it off with fresh fuel and that seldom causes any noticable problems.

If you have doubts about the quality of it you can draw a cupful into a glass jar and see if it separates (water) or has a varnish or aerosol smell (old/stale).

Old gasoline turns dark, thicker, and smells like varnish.

Old alcohol enhanced fuel looks like weak cloudy lemonade and smells like spray paint or hairspray.

If you have doubts about the quality of it you can draw a cupful into a glass jar and see if it separates (water) or has a varnish or aerosol smell (old/stale).

Old gasoline turns dark, thicker, and smells like varnish.

Old alcohol enhanced fuel looks like weak cloudy lemonade and smells like spray paint or hairspray.

That's good info. Now I'm curious and must try this I'm all my gas cans for my mower and my boat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

This falls into States vs Federal law thing since George W signed a law saying that it was not required.

Can you explain this please? Are you saying there is some federal rule that says only label if the percentage is 20% or more, like you stated above? And that that rule overrides the state laws? If so, please link in some information that backs that up. I can find nothing along those lines.

John B

08 Skeeter SL210, 225F Yamaha

Sorry Jeb it was all over the place in 2007 when all the anti ethanol and anti Bush stuff was going on but I just don't want to go through the entire 2007 fuel standard energy law to find it,so I will withdraw the statement, but seeing as to the fact the EPA just approved E15 this month despite protest from all major auto makers I don't think there is E20 floating around .http://biofuelschat.com/topics/epa-rejects-bid-relax-ethanol-mandate

But in my research I did find several places (Wikipedia) that says you cannot make E10 or E85 by just pouring ethanol into gasoline that it is a complicated process at the refinery requiring different processes for summer and winter fuel so other than a gas station owner can you please reference that statement.

My limited research and understanding of these laws the fuel companies have no choice but to add ethanol by law and I don't understand how a few can disobey a Federal law, not saying they don't just I don't understand.

Not doubting your statements just trying to get a better understanding, just like what happens to the feed corn after making alcohol it is still feed as corn mash. What runs up the price is Wall Street seeing an increase in demand and buying futures, the corn is still there but the people who own the futures set the price from NYC not Iowa. But everyone blames the government or ethanol it's self or even farmers for growing to much.......I am by no means an expert just the opposite, very confused and not trusting of either side of this big business debate.