Quick Lake Levels

Generation Schedule

Polar Bear 2013

37 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

How much will it take to win this year? Seems like the last few years it's been 16 to 18 lbs. Not a bad winter bag on Beaver. For fun, reply with your guess on the winning weight and primary pattern / bait. I'm saying 15.67 and jerk bait. Think the long-range forecast is calling for high temp of 39 with 24 degrees the night before. Light wind, light clouds and 10% chance precip. Water temp was 53-54 degrees Saturday and Sunday, but I'm sure it's dropped since then.

Posted · Report post

I would guess around 15 also, but I'll say 14.75. Jerkbait could be the deal or the A-rig.

Posted · Report post

I would guess around 15 also, but I'll say 14.75. Jerkbait could be the deal or the A-rig.

No A rigs allowed in the tourney this year from what I hear.

Posted · Report post

I might be crazy but im going with 22.0 if someone finds the fish I had been catching, most were 4lbs with a few 5's mixed in. The temps might have shut it down however I think a good angler locating them could do 20 to 25 if they stay on them and dont get frustrated and go running and gunning.

Derek I still havent thrown an A-rig yet its been to good a bite on cranks and slow crawling keitechs to even worry about it chucking the heavy creature.

Posted · Report post

My buddy and I got out one day last week and were catching a few here and there before the Keitechs started really catching them. Impressive little baits.

Posted · Report post

My buddy and I got out one day last week and were catching a few here and there before the Keitechs started really catching them. Impressive little baits.

That they are, I sent some to my father in Cali and he has been beating up the big FL Strain's on them, he says you cannot find them out there and he is outfishing people around him Texas Rigged, I hadnt thought about using them way the 1/4oz jighead seems to work best here just slowly ticking the bottom. I did hear a rumor of real nice walleye on them 2 days ago from the back of rocky branch in 8fow

Posted · Report post

Shhhhh, be quiet about those Keitechs!

Well if no A-rigs allowed, then I'll say jerkbaits and a 14.75 lb. bag.

Posted · Report post

Is there a website that has info on the tournament? Also, if anyone wants to fish this but doesn't have a co-angler, let me know!

Posted · Report post

January 1st 2013

Prairie Creek

7 to 3

$70 per team paid the morning of tournament at the ramp. Cash only!

6 fish limit 15'' largemouth, smallmouth and meanmouth and 12'' spotted bass.

No Alabama rigs or multi-lure rigs

Posted · Report post

To be fair I'm not going back on the weight I posted, but I was making my prediction on a 5-fish limit. nwaoutdoorsman is correct - limit is 6 and no A-rigs allowed. Life jackets on plane.

Posted · Report post

Is there a website that has info on the tournament? Also, if anyone wants to fish this but doesn't have a co-angler, let me know!

I don't know about a website. There was a little information posted on FB -

This tournament will be a buddy event with a $70.00 entry fee. Entries must be paid in cash and will only be accepted the morning of the tournament. Take off position will be determined by entry.

Posted · Report post

BTW, if anyone can get the results and post them here that would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully at least winning bag weight and biggest fish.

Posted · Report post

We will. We're fishing it. Champ188's usually pretty good at finding the results and posting them for our area tournaments. Speaking of fishing it, I went to Cabela's today and got some wool socks and new winter headgear. It's going to be nippy. High 35, winds NNW 11 mph, cloudy, 10% precip. Low on Monday will be 23. May take a while to warm up to that toasty 35 on Tuesday. :)

Posted · Report post

With temps like that are in the forecast it will be a true Polar Bear. Good luck and stay warm!

Posted · Report post

Thanks, Quillback. Fished until dark today. Didn't get too awful warm, but had some good clothes on. Caught a few. Catching any at Beaver always feels like a win. :)

Posted · Report post

Donna check out rocky branch tomorrow if you guys are still prefishing. West shore out of the back ramp and also the North Side of the lake boat docks. I marked a bunch of something Thursday there. Ill be on the big island tomorrow but without pole its duck time :)

Posted · Report post

Thanks! I'll tell the captain. I'm geographically challenged, particularly on water. I'm a real catch in a pro-am because I bring sandwiches and I can't tell anyone how to get back to your stuff. Sometimes I even get the lakes mixed up. That's why I like being the back-boater. The dude up front has to find the fish. I only have to catch 'em. ;)

Posted · Report post

Guess I won't be meeting you at the tournament Donna. My partner found out he is not going to be able to make it and my boat is missing a lower unit(thanks to beaver). Good Luck to you guys.

Posted · Report post

Guess I won't be meeting you at the tournament Donna. My partner found out he is not going to be able to make it and my boat is missing a lower unit(thanks to beaver). Good Luck to you guys.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's scary out there right now with the low water. We were running somewhere yesterday (remember, I'm geographically challenged) and Champ shut down quick. We were in 70fow and we saw a rock hump sticking up a foot or two above the surface. No buoy. Yikes! I thought if it were tournament morning and everyone running in low light, it might have been bad. Gray day, gray rocks, gray water and waves makes it even harder to see.

Hope you can get back on the water soon.

Posted · Report post

Donna check out rocky branch tomorrow if you guys are still prefishing. West shore out of the back ramp and also the North Side of the lake boat docks. I marked a bunch of something Thursday there. Ill be on the big island tomorrow but without pole its duck time :)

We didn't make it to Rocky Branch yesterday. Launched at Prairie Creek (this much I know - lol). Long day on the water for these temps. Didn't start until 9-9:30 a.m., but stayed out until dark. Leaving the boat in the garage today. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Posted · Report post

Today would be a great day for catchin em. Hope the sun stays down for you guys tommorow. Good luck.

Posted · Report post

My partner was able to get off work. See you guys tommorow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated:-). Good luck

Posted · Report post

Glad to hear it. Good luck to you, also. Best advice is stay patient.

We don't have an OA sticker on the boat right now. We just traded. In fact we don't have registration numbers on yet. We're in a Z119 Ranger white, silver and black with red pin-striping with a 225 Mercury towed by a silver GMC extended cab. Can't miss me. I'll be the short one in all red Guidewear with my pant cuffs dragging. lol

Posted · Report post

When someone gets in today, can you please give a water temp and shad kill info, weather station is down but last water temp says 42 so I am thinking shad kill.

Posted · Report post

We went from Prairie Creek to the dam. Never saw a temp lower than 47.9. Most of the time it was 48-49. I would have paid good money for the AIR temp to be 48-49. It was quite the endurance test today. 1-1:30 p.m. it started snowing and temperature began dropping. Not even close to the weather forecast we saw before leaving the house this morning.

We fished until 2:10 p.m. with only two keepers and decided to put it on the trailer. We weren't the only ones either. Boat is covered in ice. Snug as a bug on the sofa watching the Rose Bowl now. Oh, actually we had three keepers. Mr. Walleye made the trip home with us. :D Guess we're having black-eyed peas and walleye for New Year's.

Posted · Report post

Hey your BASS fishermen arnt you suppose to let everything go, that poor walleye lol. Rocky Branch on it by some chance ?

Posted · Report post

You said it - we're bass anglers. We let BASS go. ;) In reality, the walleye will be released - to the grease. Not far from Rocky Branch.

Posted · Report post

That is the only way to release walleye :)

Posted · Report post

Sorry to hear the Champ & Donna team did not win it all, I was expecting to pick up tomorrow's paper and see a half page photo with both of you hoisting the trophy (or whatever it is you get for winning that tournament) :D

Weather was nasty today, I did not even think of fishing.

Posted · Report post

That is the only way to release walleye :)

According to Champ it is. lol

Posted · Report post

For those who were wondering Nick Frakes team won it with 21lbs. We came up with 15.6. Best day I have ever had on Beaver. It was a grind today. A lot of time in between catches. We only boated 7 fish all day. Lost a few on the way to the boat. Had fun, but I'm glad to be home in the heat.

Posted · Report post

Sorry to hear the Champ & Donna team did not win it all, I was expecting to pick up tomorrow's paper and see a half page photo with both of you hoisting the trophy (or whatever it is you get for winning that tournament) :D

Weather was nasty today, I did not even think of fishing.

Thanks, QB. No trophy. Only money and the respect of your peers for having survived. lol Yes, it was nasty. Just now warming up. I was bone cold.

Posted · Report post

For those who were wondering Nick Frakes team won it with 21lbs. We came up with 15.6. Best day I have ever had on Beaver. It was a grind today. A lot of time in between catches. We only boated 7 fish all day. Lost a few on the way to the boat. Had fun, but I'm glad to be home in the heat.

Way to go! Guess the Beav owed you after a lower unit. ;) I'm glad it worked out where you could fish. Did you get a check?

Posted · Report post

That cold I think I would have just dropped the trolling motor and limited boat speed to 1 mph except maybe for warm up trips to the truck. :have-a-nice-day:

Congrats to all who fished, any word on where and how the winning bag was caught? Were the shad still deep or were they moving into the coves?

Posted · Report post

We were the last team to get money. We came in 6th. Won $100

Posted · Report post

Donna. It was real nice meeting you yesterday. Don't know Champ too well but he has always been a gentleman any time I have seen him. Have a great year and take care of that nice little boat you got.

Posted · Report post

You got your entry fee back, Sore Thumbs, plus a little. That's a successful tournament. Thanks. Champ is a good guy. Think I'll keep him and the boat. :D Right now the poor girl is all wet and dirty. Takes a while to dry out this time of year in an unheated garage.

Can you answer Stump Bumper's question about how the winning bag was caught? We didn't stay for weigh-in and I haven't heard.