What Color Line Do You Guys Use For Largemouth

jlinmo226068

I normally don't get break offs on hooksets with fluoro. Occasionally while playing a fish, but usually due to pushing the drag, or some sort of cover rub that I was aware of. I re-tie a lot, and change line more often than many, especially the 6# thread. Would love to have Beck's restraint, but tend to hammer them with a jig or bigger plastic, and have done it with 10# fluoro without problems. Hit them pretty hard with a shakey head most of the time too.

Like ABK, I use the trilene knot, except on braid where I go to a uni knot, and on drop shots where palomar is sort of necessary (although a uni can be made to work there). Not sure they are better, but think they tie easier, with less things to go wrong. It helps to check your knot after it is snugged down. If it doesn't look right, meaning loops got in the wrong place / is not a nice tight pull down / has a kink above the knot /etc., I will re-tie it then and there, regardless of line type. Palomars can be especially bad about getting the loops crossed, causing the line at the connection to be crossed /pinched/singled vs. doubled/etc.

We use fluoro in the summer for frog work in ponds (mostly because in small boat situations the same rod will handle flipping with that line), and have yet to break off a fish in a big rod / hammered set / extra 5# of grass encounter. It is pretty tough stuff, if you don't skimp on it at the cash register. There are some fluoros that are not worth any price.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ment to mention on the break-off stuff. Please all of you check your eyes and guides if you are continuing to break. Just the most minor damage in the eyes will completely destroy your line. It does not have to be in the tip either, it can be on down the rod.

Seems like if you keep seeing your line discolor, weather it be carbon or mono, it is a pretty good indication that you have damage to one of your line guides or eyes. As the line goes thru even if it is very slight it for sure abrades the line and discolors it.

Did you all notice that EVERY-PRO in the Classic when storing their rods in their rod boxes put them in a fabric sheeth? None of them seemed to just trust the boats rod compartments, they all further protected their equipment for damage. How many times have you went to pull a rod out of the box and had its neighbors lure either harg or scrape the line on the rod you were pulling out. YOu can bet that if the hook touches that line if is abraded.

I picked up that tip watching the Pro's put there rods up. Maybe to much work for most of us, but if a 1/2 mil. is on the line,your do everything you can to not have a stupid problem.

Good Luck

I switched to 20lb sunline floro last year. I'm using it strictly for jigs. The fish in ultra clear water didn't shy away from it. It allows me to hammer set the hook. Zero break offs.

It's easier to up the line size vs relearn hook setting.

Ment to mention on the break-off stuff. Please all of you check your eyes and guides if you are continuing to break. Just the most minor damage in the eyes will completely destroy your line. It does not have to be in the tip either, it can be on down the rod.

Seems like if you keep seeing your line discolor, weather it be carbon or mono, it is a pretty good indication that you have damage to one of your line guides or eyes. As the line goes thru even if it is very slight it for sure abrades the line and discolors it.

Did you all notice that EVERY-PRO in the Classic when storing their rods in their rod boxes put them in a fabric sheeth? None of them seemed to just trust the boats rod compartments, they all further protected their equipment for damage. How many times have you went to pull a rod out of the box and had its neighbors lure either harg or scrape the line on the rod you were pulling out. YOu can bet that if the hook touches that line if is abraded.

I picked up that tip watching the Pro's put there rods up. Maybe to much work for most of us, but if a 1/2 mil. is on the line,your do everything you can to not have a stupid problem.

Good Luck

Bill,

Whats the best method for checking all your guides? Would a Qtip snag on burrs and leave a strand of cotton? I'm thinking this could be part of the problem with break offs

I switched to 20lb sunline floro last year. I'm using it strictly for jigs. The fish in ultra clear water didn't shy away from it. It allows me to hammer set the hook. Zero break offs.

It's easier to up the line size vs relearn hook setting.

Great choice! You won't break Sunline, especially 20#. Been using it for a couple years, it's fantastic line and worth every last penny.

As far as rod guides go - I had an insert pop out on me 2 years ago while we were down there. It took me 4 consecutive casts breaking off a jig before I checked the guides. Now I keep all of my rods in Rod Gloves, and still check the guides every time I head out by pinching them between my thumb and middle finger. Your fingers will touch inside, and if there's a nick in 'em you'll feel it.

Bill,

Whats the best method for checking all your guides? Would a Qtip snag on burrs and leave a strand of cotton? I'm thinking this could be part of the problem with break offs

Q-tip or tissue paper work very well.

Good Luck

Makes a huge difference in protection, and makes it soooo much easier to get rods out of the box. You can keep the socks on most of them, put a few uncovered on top, and just go fish. When schoolies come up, boom, you can get your spook or jig spoon rod out. Awesome.

Have been using the BPS socks with the elastic strap. Does not dry as well as a stik jacket, but the elastic keeps the whole thing in place. Have to watch it with trebles though. The jackets are nice if you want to color code rods in the box.

Look like you boys already had the fabric rod wraps figured out.  I love this forum.

Thanks Guys.

BB -

If you're in the market, check out The Rod Glove. They put a 1-1/2" rubber plug at the end that helps protect your rod tips too. For $6 they're tough to beat - cheaper than havin a guide or a tip replaced.

29792_tapered-tip13049486454dc7efa5779a7

Look like you boys already had the fabric rod wraps figured out. I love this forum.

Thanks Guys.

Bill way back when If you bought a high dollar rod you would get a cloth rod bag which would hold your your rod in one space your detachable handle in another and space for a wood dowel to protect your rod from breaking most people back then couldn't come up with the 30 or 40 dollars a top of the line Heddon or Shakesphere etc rod cost. Most of us never had more than a couple of rods so you learned to take care of them.