Quick Lake Levels

Generation Schedule
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

White Bass?

24 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

looking to try to make my first trip to stockton Saturday and try to find some whites. any help with where to start would be appreciated

Posted · Report post

Depends on how well you know the waters. If you think you can safely go up the river then, I'd start looking at High Point and work up the river.

Posted · Report post

I have never been on the lake but am fairly comfortable running a river if its decent sized... what arm/ part of the lake would that be... thanks

Posted · Report post

It would be the Little Sac. Don't try it if you don't know it, too many channel switchbacks, shallow spots and stumps. With your lack of familiarity with the lake and the low water conditions Cedar Ridge to High Point would be the safest for you. Get a map and see where that area is located. It is off Hwy 245 in Dade County.

Posted · Report post

with the low water levels right now i would not recomend trying to go up the river unless you have a very swallow running jon boat. dutch is right. its very hard to stay in the channel if you dont know it and last time i was up there the water was close to pool level and i still ran in the mud at times. stay lakeside of the bridge. I dont think they have started the move yet with the very cold water temps this winter but if we can get a string of warm days instead of the ups and downs they will turn on quick. good luck and report in.

Posted · Report post

thanks for the advise guys i will let you know how it go's

Posted · Report post

How shallow is it up at Alrich? I usually go up the river on the other side of the bridge at Alrich in early April. I have a 17' deep-V aluminum boat. It is safe to go on the other side of the Alrich bridge with this low water if you stay in the old river channel? I can't imagine if being a problem once you cross the flat area and get to to the actual river channed about 1 mile east of the bridge .

Posted · Report post

Ranger Dave, I don't know how deep it is at Aldrich right now but I can tell you that the lake is 5' 8" below powerpool so I thought maybe that might tell you how shallow it is right now.

Posted · Report post

Aldrich is VERY shallow right now. I would not attempt going upriver there in a deep v boat. Heck I wouldn't even go up In my flatbottom.

Posted · Report post

ended up going to spring river this weekend instead caught 3 by 10 hwy bridge but they are still in the lower end as far as i could tell judging by the lack of boats up that high i would say that is a safe assumption hoping to hit stockton when the water comes up a bit

Posted · Report post

It's coming up...

Posted · Report post

I was between High point and Aldrige yesterday and the whites were thick. I don't fish for them, but caught several large ones while flipping jigs. I also saw a couple guys on the bank who had quite a few caught.

Posted · Report post

Where is high point located? Near little sac or big sac

Posted · Report post

Where is high point located? Near little sac or big sac

See my post 7 or 8 posts up.

You really need to get you a map of that lake.

Posted · Report post

Little Sac. Aldrich is further upriver.

Posted · Report post

ozarkanglers.com/stockton/maps

Posted · Report post

Rs5605 can I get up to the area between high point and aldrich with a fiberglass bass boat? My little boy is wanting to go up there and catch some of those whites. R u putting in at cedar or high point? I've never put in at high point so didn't even know how to get to that ramp. Thanks for any info.

Posted · Report post

You can get up there with a bass boat, just have to watch it. There are some shallow spots. We were up there in my partners Ranger Z20 and ran all the way from State park to where the timber started. Its pretty muddy up there right now. Im headed to Pomme today.

Posted · Report post

whitebassman....

Here is a piece of map showing how to get to High Point launch....

post-5437-0-75738300-1363347465_thumb.jp

Posted · Report post

Several posts have indicated how tricky it is now with the low water. They have especially indicated the area between High Point and Alrich. I have made the trip between High Point and Alrich many times and never had a problem or noticed areas that would be bad during low water conditions. I had to stay in the main channel but I didn't notice the main channel being that narrow. Have I just been lucky? Is it really that shallow between High Point and Alrich?

I have always fished for whites in the old river channel "east" of the Alrich bridge. It sounds like this area is not going to be reachable this spring in my boat. Are there good opportunities for whites between High Point and Alrich? Where?

Posted · Report post

I have already lost one lower unit at Pommy and would still rather fish Stockton. But if you have ever hit a stump doing 35, you'll never forget it! Aldridge is a great fishing spot, but it the water levels won't be back up in time for spawning season this year. They are pumping the water out and purposely trying to keep it low. And it will stay like this for the next 2 years too. I suggest hitting brushpiles at 20 foot, and working the shorelines closest to those piles as spring draws nearer.. These are the times when all new fishing hotspots are created. Stockton has loads of fish, and they are still in there, they may not be in that same place, but they are still in there! Just take it slow and you will be alright!

Posted · Report post

Is this about the lake level first hand info from the corps of engineers?

Posted · Report post

You can get to the bridge. You just have to really watch it. It came up a couple feet but its still hairy. If you run on plane all the way from High Point to Aldrige right now, you definatley got more kahoneys than I do.

Posted · Report post

Unlike what haulin bass said the corps is not purposely drawing down the lake. It is actually coming up now and will probably continue to do so. The corps will not start letting more water out until the lake is in flood stage, other good news is that they will not be able to generate for at least a year so any releases once at flood stage will go through the flood gates which usually makes fishing great below the dam. If we keep getting good spring rains the lake will probably be at normal level sooner than later, it's already came up three approaching four feet in the last three weeks.