#1 flyrodman

flyrodman

Gizzard Shad

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Fly Tying, Camping, Fly Fishing

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hi guys. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. I am currently working toward my Eagle Scout rank and was wondering if you guys have any ideas for a community project. I would like to do something fishing related but I am at a loss at what to do. I was thinking of installing PVC line recycling bins at a popular fishing location. What do you think? 

Luke Walz

#2 mic

mic

Chain Pickeral

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, and Woodworking

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

Contact your local conservation office and ask the same question.  I'm sure they have lots of things they need help with. 

#3 Jason R.

Jason R.

Logperch

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

I built a bird sanctuary for mine- don't do that- it was lame and everyone got poison ivy.

#4 Outside Bend

Outside Bend

White Bass

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

My only concern would be who maintains and cleans the recycling bins once they're installed. Like Mic said- you may try contacting a local MDC office, your city park's department, or DNR/Missouri State Parks- they probably have a list of things which can be done. 

#5 Justin Spencer

Justin Spencer

Cypress Minnow

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Interests:Hunting
    Fishing
    Trapping
    Sports

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

I'd be happy to have one installed at my campground, as would other outfitters I assume.  Once in place I have no problem with the maintenance, I have meant to put one in on my own but haven't gotten around to it.

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

#6 Brian Sloss

Brian Sloss

Fly Fishing Guide/Canoe Rental Owner (417)778-6497

• OAF Fishing Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing and anything river related

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

I'd take one as well.
www.11pointcanoe.com
(417)778-6497

#7 ColdWaterFshr

ColdWaterFshr

White Crappie

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

I built a bird sanctuary for mine- don't do that- it was lame and everyone got poison ivy.

What is it with Eagle Scout service projects?  I was involved with 4 or 5 of those back in the day . . . and every single one of them, a few of us got the worst poison ivy.

Whatever you do, don't clear brush at Wilson's Creek Nat'l Battlefield.  Copperheads and poison ivy were everywhere.

#8 Flysmallie

Flysmallie

Land Shark

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Alright this has nothing to do with your project but since you mentioned the PVC recycling bins I have to tell this story.

Last week I was at a park with my 9 year old daughter. We were walking around a small fishing pond and ran across one of those bins. Sophi asks what it is and I explain to her that it's a place to put your used fishing line. She asked if you could put other trash in there. I said sure just to make the conversation simple. So it's like a trash can she said. I just responded yes as we continued on. Probably about 5 minutes later she asked if I would make her one for her bedroom so she could put small pieces of paper and broken crayons in it. :lol:  

#9 Lancer09

Lancer09

Orangethroat Darter

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, Hunting, Fitness.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

For mine I built fish attractors for the local conservation area. A bunch of buckets, a ton of pvc cut to random lengths and quickreeted in.

If you do those saw the lip of the buckets off so there is nothingn to get snagged on for fisherman.

I made 24 for a fairly resonable cost, and it took us one morning to build them all and another week for the concrete to cure. super easy.

#10 flyrodman

flyrodman

Gizzard Shad

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Brian and Justin, I would love to install the line receptacles. The only problem is that it is a bit of a drive from Springfield to your locations. I have camped at Sunburst and 11pt Canoe Rental with my scout troop. They were both wonderful places to stay. I also still need to catch a fish on the riverfront at Sunburst. I got skunked last time!
Luke Walz

#11 flyrodman

flyrodman

Gizzard Shad

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Fish attractors also are a good idea.
Luke Walz

#12 BilletHead

BilletHead

Stippled Darter

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

It is nice to hear a young man giving a a gift to all of us. Thank you flyrodman for whatever you decide to do,

Mr. and Mrs. BilletHead

#13 Justin Spencer

Justin Spencer

Cypress Minnow

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Interests:Hunting
    Fishing
    Trapping
    Sports

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Brian and Justin, I would love to install the line receptacles. The only problem is that it is a bit of a drive from Springfield to your locations. I have camped at Sunburst and 11pt Canoe Rental with my scout troop. They were both wonderful places to stay. I also still need to catch a fish on the riverfront at Sunburst. I got skunked last time!

You are far from the only one skunked here, took me a month to get my first flyrod trout on the NF.
"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

#14 Chief Grey Bear

Chief Grey Bear

Ozark Fishing Expeditions

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts
  • Interests:moonshining

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:15 AM

Hi guys. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. I am currently working toward my Eagle Scout rank and was wondering if you guys have any ideas for a community project. I would like to do something fishing related but I am at a loss at what to do. I was thinking of installing PVC line recycling bins at a popular fishing location. What do you think? 

It is a great idea. I just want to add and you may already know this, but, add a cap to it. An unintended consequence has been birds getting into them and getting tangled up in the line and dying.

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Executive Pro Staff  Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon River Division

Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Exeutive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

#15 Feathers and Fins

Feathers and Fins

If it flies it dies, if it flops it fries!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts
  • Interests:Watching the Ramp follies

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

If you are going to do this project ( i did it when i was in scouts ) Us 10 to 12'' Pvc cap the top and bottom, Save the cut-out and use a hinge and install it back over the hole to keep critters out. Our first year we maintained them and found wood ducks and squirrels nested in them. Second year we did the hinge and had no problem. Us screw on caps so whomever emptys them they can place a trash can under the bottom unscre it and the top and push the debris down with a stick or broom handle.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beaver-Lake-Arkansas-Fishing-Report/745541178798856

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

count web page traffic
XM Satellite Radio