OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
TSmith

Todays Fishing Trip In Marshfield

Fished the James in Marshfield MO today (Road KK) used the waders. Didn't see a single bass (smallie or large) and no pan fish of any kind. However, there were a lot of minnows and little bait fish all over the place. Didnt see any craws either. O well it was still a great day to get out and try a new location.

Anyone know when the Smallies start to become more prevalent on this river?

My grandson and I took the canoe out on Sunday at Blunks in Galena trying to catch some whites. I caught one undersize smallmouth (on a minnow) and had a 15 in. smallmouth on a brown inline spinner w/a gold blade. The larger bass hit right as I paused to speak to a fellow boater asking if we had caught anything.

Normally I fish for what is biting, but I was really focused on white bass or I would have started fishing for smallmouth. I would have had a better fishing day....ha, ha, ha.

I believe the key would be to fish a little slower, but I don't normally fish for smallmouth until after the spawn so I can't say for certain.

I would think they might still be near deep water or springs. I know they start moving out of BS now, at least those that winter in the lake, or at least that;s my theory.