Got Bundy'd Again

GENTLE

• Members

Yeah, Paul Tormanen used to win regional events around this area, pass polygraphs, live well checks etc. he was suppose to be the next big thing. Look him up and see how that turned out.

Guys I'm telling you, something stinks about theses two cats!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago some friends of ours caught 10 bass in less than an hour that weighed a combined 69 pounds. I believe it was in the Vanwinkle Hollow area. Lake was about 6 years old then. There was tremendous growth in fish when the lake was first filling, I assume from all the land being covered for the first time. Never heard of such a haul since.

The polygraph at the weigh-in deal, I think, is meant to be more of a deterrent than a way to actually catch cheaters. I have always heard that someone can be trained in an hour or so to beat one. But there's at least some level of reliability in them. Results are generally admissible in criminal proceedings, but law enforcement officers use them fairly regularly as investigatory tools.

I also heard a story of a guy who got disqualified from the Arkansas big bass bonanza thing that they do on the river. The story goes that he was an average joe who had the big fish of the whole tournament. When he sat down for his polygraph, they asked him if he had consumed any drugs or alcohol - probably to establish background for verifying his answers or something. He responded that he had, in fact, smoked a celebratory joint on the way back to the weigh in to commemorate his catch and calm his nerves since he thought he had a good shot at the big payday. He was DQ'd for violating the no drug policy of the tournament. I have no idea if that one's true or not but I thought it was funny. Definitely one of the most expensive joints ever smoked.

Polygraphs can be passed, just ask anybody that's been a POW, or military personnel. They're not fool proof by any means.

Those old boys might be the real deal.

I'm not doubting their skill and don't care who won. I don't fish tournaments anyway.

The polygraph at the weigh-in deal, I think, is meant to be more of a deterrent than a way to actually catch cheaters. I have always heard that someone can be trained in an hour or so to beat one. But there's at least some level of reliability in them. Results are generally admissible in criminal proceedings, but law enforcement officers use them fairly regularly as investigatory tools.

I also heard a story of a guy who got disqualified from the Arkansas big bass bonanza thing that they do on the river. The story goes that he was an average joe who had the big fish of the whole tournament. When he sat down for his polygraph, they asked him if he had consumed any drugs or alcohol - probably to establish background for verifying his answers or something. He responded that he had, in fact, smoked a celebratory joint on the way back to the weigh in to commemorate his catch and calm his nerves since he thought he had a good shot at the big payday. He was DQ'd for violating the no drug policy of the tournament. I have no idea if that one's true or not but I thought it was funny. Definitely one of the most expensive joints ever smoked.

It's 100% true. My dad and I were weighing in a nice fish that won an hourly prize. Dad was polygraphed and flat lined it. They started checking the machine and wanted to run another test. He flatlined it again. I'm telling you, the look of disbelief on their face was priceless. They demanded answers. He said look, I'm still wearing my life jacket and I'm real tired. Then he smiled and said, I'm a Vietnam vet. And they all starting laughing. That's when the officials told us about the joint smoking idiot from the little rock pool. He caught an 8lber right off the bat on day 1, but admitted to smoking joint at the boat ramp. They didn't even polygraph the guy bc he was guilty by admission. We still laugh about it.

I never fished Buddy tournaments for the reason they do nothing but promote cheating. I don't care who you are and how honest you are someone will always find a way around rules if its made easy for them to and You and I are the ones who suffer by being honest. If you fish a tournament that is for all purposes NO RULES and by that I mean someone checking to make sure its honest, then you will have cheaters.

One of my favorite cheaters got busted after wining several tourneys by almost double digits. A few anglers followed him and his {buddy} with high power binos and caught them beaching the boat going over a hill and walking back with some monster bass. No one said anything but the next tourney there were several officials staked out at the hill. Nice farm pond over it and sure enough they walked over the hill picked up a basket with Bass in it. They went back to the boat and put them in BAM busted.

Seen more than a few baskets under docks also and guys stuffing weights. The best tourney's check the live wells and NEVER allow buddy angling. Over the years I have heard many other stories and they all revolve around ( open / buddy ) events. Sad truly sad.

My .02:

First: I would hope that someone would have some type of evidence before they accused me of cheating in a public format- something beyond just "they sure win a lot." I mean, I have no clue who these dudes are- they might be dirtballs- but I wouldn't call them that unless I had some proof of some sort.

Secondly: maybe I am missing something but because the format of the chamber buddy bass tournament DOES leave a lot of "margins" for someone with unsavory character- I think people need to see it for what it is: a primarily "fun" competition...it obviously is not The Classic, the FLW, or even a regional tournament trail. It is a chamber of commerce event made to promote the area and draw a crowd. Nothing more.