First Timer / Summer Float.

hoytman

• Members

Hello, I am new to the forum and looking to soak up as much information regarding fishing the Eleven Point for my first time. I spent the last several years fishing the Big Piney and Gasconade with great success with my fly rod and want to continue that success on the Eleven Point. Our trip is the last weekend of June and our plan is to fish from Greer to Hwy 142. I have been fly fishing for the past 5 years or so, but mainly on Ozark streams and ponds for smallies, large mouth and bream. I have not yet caught a trout on the fly, and I anxious to hopefully find some success.

I know that June may not be the ideal time to do a float for trout compared to say Spring and Fall, but I am curious to what may be the best way to fish the river this time of year. Per this forum and other articles, I have stocked up on some M.O.A.T. nymphs (brown, size 6 & 8), sculpin "sculpzilla" #8 flies, and plan to get my hands on some Don's Crawdad's this week. Any additional thoughts on fly selection for this time of year? It sounds like from what I've read, you have to fish deep to have success. Can anyone advise how deep is deep?

I plan to bring down a 9ft. 6 weight rod, with floating line attached to either a 5X or 4X 7 1/2 ft. leader. So I am open to any suggestions on my set up as well if needed.

Lastly, out of the 8 of us floating the river, most do not fly fish and will be bringing their spincast. I have suggested in the blue ribbon area that they may want to try maribou jigs (black, white, olive)? Also I've read that spinners are a good way to go, but I have had trouble finding specifics on color and sizes?

Thanks in advance on any tips and/or advise you can offer!

Copper John, #14 or #16 in copper worked for me. Brian S. also reported earlier that #12 Prince and golden stone fly nymphs were working, though that might be periodical. Good luck and we might be down there the same time. Still finalizing plans.

Stoneflies and Don's crawdads are staples on this river year round to catch trout on this river. 4-7 ft deep is pretty common depending on the hole you are fishing. Marabou jigs are an excellent thing to use here on spinning rods,. but they are killer on a fly rod as well up to a 1/16 oz. Your rod choice is spot on. A sink tip fishing woolies and maybe a few other streamers could catch you a few as well. Golden stones are phasing out in favor of brown and black.

Bring prince nymphs, red fox squirrel nymphs and a few other generic nymphs as well. Some caddis pupae will be good to have also.

www.elevenpointflyfishing.com

www.elevenpointcottages.com

(417)270-2497

Can't add much to Brian's advice, nor Nortrad's, but would add that the old Hare's Ear in size 12 and 16 is still one of the best "buggy" nymphs to use. I'm partial to the Flashback Hare's Ears, which have a little piece of iridescent material on the thorax, if you can find them.

As for depth...on every trout stream I've ever fished, there are often fish that are shallower than you think in the fast water areas. I've often caught trout, including on the Eleven Point, by drifting nymphs in 18 to 24 inches of fast water with irregular waves. And if you see a drop-off from a foot or so of water into 2 feet or more with the current sweeping over it, that's also a good place. They might not be there in the middle of a sunny day, but early and late and in cloudy weather there will be fish feeding in such places, and they are some of the easiest to catch if they are there.

Also generically, for any trout stream, let the size of your flies be your guide as to tippet...if you're fishing something small, 4X and 5X is called for, but if you're fishing streamers or bulky crawdad imitations I wouldn't hesitate to go to 2X or 3X. In my opinion, trout are not nearly as line-shy as most anglers think they are, and I don't like the smaller margin for error with light tippet, so I use as heavy as I can without overpowering the flies I'm using.

Can't go wrong with advice from Brian or Al, but from the spinning rod side of things, I'd recommend you try some ZigJigs. They sound like a gimmick, but there's something to them in there action. Caught many trout back in the fall on a couple trips to greer on them with a spinning rod. There a staple on the white river tailwater, but they work here to!

If your floating all the way down to 142, bring you some bass tackle, smallmouth get good down there!

There's no such thing, as a bad day fishing!

Take along a black rooster tail. Fish deep! Suggest pink and white power eggs for spincasters with enough weight to bounce along the bottom.

Your plan is a 28 mile float over a weekend. You may want to consider cutting back and taking out at Riverton - 21 miles. You'll find that you are passing up lots of good fishing spots. The Riverton to Hwy 142 section is mostly smallmouth water, and while you may catch a few, the action in the trout water is much better. I suggest taking the time to check out some of the sights - walk back to Greer Springs, 2nd largest spring in Missouri and awesome sight. Fishing at confluence of spring and river is excellent fishing. Pull over at Turner Mill and view the remnants of the old mill. Same for Boze Mill. The two fastest and best rapids are Tumbling Shoals (about 3 miles past Turner Mills Access) and Halls Bay (just downstream from Boze Mill) border on Class II waters and great spots to pullover. Just passed Halls Bay, the trout fishing slows down considerably. IMO, the best fishing is from Greer to Whitten - the first 12 miles. If you fly thru that section on the first day to make time to go the entire 28 miles, you will be passing up some of the best fishing. Also, consider doing some wade fishing for better results. Granted, the others in your group are not fishing much, but maybe consider setting up camp a little earlier in the day. There is not an abundance of gravel bars on the Eleven Point, and on the weekends, you will find most of the good camping spots along the river get grabbed up by late afternoon. I've seen lots of people still floating late in the evening looking for a camping spot that is open. Don't wait to pick a spot if you find a good one by 5 o'clock or so.

As a general rule, MDC stocks prior to holidays. Expect good fishing just prior to July 4th. You should have plenty of stockers to throw on the grill at night.

Enjoy and give us a report. You will not be disappointed in the Eleven Point - IMO the most beautiful river in MO. Only drawback - expect some jetboat traffic on weekends.

• Members

Thanks everyone. The information provided is more than I could ask for. I will certainly give a report and hopefully have some pics to provide after the trip. Cutting the trip length is something I have thought about as well too, as Mark advised. I've been guilty in the past of trying to fit too much river in one weekend possibly, and not taking time to slow down and hit some of the better areas of a river. Good to know about the gravel bars as well. Thanks again.

Mark's advice is right on. I would go even shorter float for a two-nighter in the heat. Put in at Turners South and take out at Riverton (14 miles). Or put in at 19 and take out at Whitten (about 12 miles). That would allow you more time to fish, swim, explore. Set up camp early afternoon and then take it easy.

We just did a 20 mile two day one night trip on Beaver. It was up and running very well but it was still too far to suit me with enough goofing and fishing time. 10 or 12 is more like it for a relaxing overnighter for me.

We just did a 20 mile two day one night trip on Beaver. It was up and running very well but it was still too far to suit me with enough goofing and fishing time. 10 or 12 is more like it for a relaxing overnighter for me.

Yep, paddling ain't fishing. I'm planning an overnighter this weekend, 8 miles total and that's with an outboard. Much rather spend my precious time fishing, BBQing and relaxing than traveling.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974