Snake Id

BHowe

Fear of snakes is biblical and hereditary! It is hard to convince someone that has been raised in a religious family that snakes are not bad. Im not kidding or making this about religion I have seen it and seen the surveys and thesis papers on it. It is instilled in a person deeply and not easily overcome. It amazes me how people are so afraid of snakes which are typically harmless unless messed with yet watch the person do dangerous things all the time. The list of venomous snakes is very small in compare to non-venomous in our area and odds are the snake you see is non-venomous.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

(There is a realistic exception, however: when a venomous snake is in close association with people, which could result in someone being bitten).

The only reasone I would have thought of shooting this snake was due to the fact that it was in an area that everybody in the cove swims (mostly kids). I'm not one to kill a snake for no reason poisonous or not. I caught many non-poisonous snakes to put in the barn for mice control back in the day. Thanks for all of your imputs.

The " Realistic " exception is a joke. I have dealt with more snakes venomous and nonvenomous than I can count. If you see a snake dont mess with it simple as that. If it is in a location it must be removed from there are ways to do it safely. I taught many people to take a simple trash can and broom and get the snake in it to remove it from houses. In yards simply leave it alone. In the wild leave it alone. Many snake bite envenomation every year come from someone killing it then picking it up, they can still inject the venom after death.

Go to this link and see if its worth getting bitten. http://www.venomousreptiles.org/libraries/Snakebite%20Photos better to leave it alone than deal with the aftermath.

• Members

<If you see a snake don't mess with it simple as that.>

What about when one falls off a low branch into your canoe with my son in front! Made for a quick canoe exit with no one harmed not even the snake. Very memorable for all involved parties.

I had a large black rat snake (awesome mouse eating machines!) in the drive on Saturday. I got out and tried to herd him across the drive to avoid getting squished. He puffed up and got all mean looking. I backed off. Finally he moved across and climbed an elm tree only to get harassed by a pair of nesting mocking birds. I was late for a lake date but would have liked to seen how things ended.

Check out our line of furled leaders at Dad and Em's Fishing Products!

This reminds me of a bass tournament I fished on Lake Texoma in the 70's. On the second day the leader, who was deathly afraid of snakes, was fishing a stand of willows. These willows grow in large patches and can be a hot place to fish at times, but always have a lot snakes and birds around. Anyway, according to his partner a small snake came in through the transom drain and proceeded to travel toward the front deck. When the snake, which was something like 18" long, got on the front deck the story teller alerted the other to the snakes presence. Much to his surprise the guy on the front deck left the boat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't post on here what the guy in the front was calling the guy telling the story to a crowd after the weigh in. :lol:

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

The " Realistic " exception is a joke. I have dealt with more snakes venomous and nonvenomous than I can count. If you see a snake dont mess with it simple as that. If it is in a location it must be removed from there are ways to do it safely. I taught many people to take a simple trash can and broom and get the snake in it to remove it from houses. In yards simply leave it alone. In the wild leave it alone. Many snake bite envenomation every year come from someone killing it then picking it up, they can still inject the venom after death.

Go to this link and see if its worth getting bitten. http://www.venomousreptiles.org/libraries/Snakebite%20Photos better to leave it alone than deal with the aftermath.

I will disagree in my campground situation. I have had several people (including a $2500 insurance pay out) bitten at night when stepping on a copperhead. I personally love copperheads as they are not aggresive at all and are beautiful, but I can't afford to have campers being bitten by them so I have killed all except one, which I caught and relocated because some ladies didn't want me killing it, cottonmouths are more of a concern, but have only seen 2 in 10 years (RIP).

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

You're in a different situation Justin and I agree you have an obligation to assume your campers are ignorant of the area and therefore have to protect them.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Justin you cannot control where nature roams placing a few signs may release you from payouts. I have seen other areas do it and a few people tried to sue and the judges pretty much told the one suing to go pound sand. Get some Midwest Tongs they are safe for the snakes and keep you safe then you can remove them easily.

Oh and hate to say it but if a snake falls in the boat with me his butt is getting caught. .

Justin you cannot control where nature roams placing a few signs may release you from payouts. I have seen other areas do it and a few people tried to sue and the judges pretty much told the one suing to go pound sand. Get some Midwest Tongs they are safe for the snakes and keep you safe then you can remove them easily.

Oh and hate to say it but if a snake falls in the boat with me his butt is getting caught. .

I agree, but insurance companies don't even want to take it to court, costs more than settling. I should just catch and relocate, but always get selfish with my time and take the easy way out. I will try and be better this year, but often either a camper or employee get to them first.

By the way, I used to check headboats for the state of florida, did you work on any on the east coast?

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

Ok have Black Snake in Chicken House,move it 100 yards to Garden.Next day two Black Snakes eating all my Baby Ducks.Truth couldn't have this.

The other day had a Copperhead pull back 3 times to strike me not knowing,me being deaf didn't hear my wife telling me of this Snake.Finally she gets my attention.One very dead snake.

oneshot