Fellows Lake Muskies

• Members

We have reached that time of year when the water temp has reach the low to mid 80's and with the "dog days" of summer upon us its important to pass the word and educate others that the mortality rate of caught musky.

This post isn't meant to offend anglers that intend harvest legal fish, this is meant to plead to the catch and release anglers that are still pursuing these fish. The bottom line is that the likelihood of reviving a played out (no matter how quickly landed) fish is slim to none. Even fish that were thought to be revived successfully, more than likely be belly up in a matter of time. It's that time of year that as ethical catch and release anglers, we leave the musky gear at home.

The thing to consider is the oxygen level in hot water. I'm not a biologist, but research has shown that oxygen levels decrease as the temperature rises. When we catch a muskie, they need time to recover. This usually occurs boat side and on the surface, which is the hottest water in the lake, with the least amount of oxygen. During a battle, muskies build up lactic acid in their bodies, and if the conditions don't allow them to appropriately recover it ends in death. The hardest fact to consider in this equation is that it doesn't always occur immediately. Studies have shown that muskies caught in hot water have been released only to die days later. A sad fate for a fish that we cherish.

After visiting with the folks at the marina yesterday I learned that we are losing far to many fish, and it's time we all do our part to preserve and protect this resource.

I assume that there are some that have grown tired of my soapbox here, but maybe putting out the information one more time will result in a positive impact on this fishery.

An expert is a person who has made every possible mistake in a small field of study.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome post for critical advice!

Thanks for posting.

Anyone who respects the fishery would absolutely not be targeting this species until fall.

Those who doubt the high release mortality, please do the research and then decide in your heart whether to be a friend or foe of the fishery.

Education, education, education.

Bill Butts

Springfield MO

"So many fish, so little time"

• Members

Awesome post for critical advice!

Thanks for posting.

Anyone who respects the fishery would absolutely not be targeting this species until fall.

Those who doubt the high release mortality, please do the research and then decide in your heart whether to be a friend or foe of the fishery.

Education, education, education.

Bill, I appreciate it, and it's good to see that other anglers are also interested in protecting this fishery, not only this fishery but also Pomme de Terrre, the same problem happens there.

There are some things in progress that will hopefully get the word out to a greater number of anglers. I do believe that there are some anglers that target these fish, not due to disrespect, but due to the lack of information out there.

In other words, the last line of your post, "Education, education, education" rings very true!

An expert is a person who has made every possible mistake in a small field of study.

• Members

"After visiting with the folks at the marina yesterday I learned that we are losing far to many fish, and it's time we all do our part to preserve and protect this resource."

Just curious,,,,about numbers, size, etc. of muskies being lost.

Has this been happening before the higher water temperatures or did it just start with the higher temperatures?

If it started before the higher temperatures, what caused the losses?

Are other fish being lost?

Has anyone contacted Dave Woods, Muskellunge Program Coordinator concerning this issue?

It might be helpful for everyone to join the show-me muskie project. Click on the following for more information.

http://mdc.mo.gov/fishing/protect-missouris-fishing/show-me-muskie-project

• Members

"After visiting with the folks at the marina yesterday I learned that we are losing far to many fish, and it's time we all do our part to preserve and protect this resource."

Just curious,,,,about numbers, size, etc. of muskies being lost.

Has this been happening before the higher water temperatures or did it just start with the higher temperatures?

If it started before the higher temperatures, what caused the losses?

Are other fish being lost?

Has anyone contacted Dave Woods, Muskellunge Program Coordinator concerning this issue?

It might be helpful for everyone to join the show-me muskie project. Click on the following for more information.

http://mdc.mo.gov/fishing/protect-missouris-fishing/show-me-muskie-project

Bob, this has just started with the high temps, after a CU water analysis last week we have learned that the fish are going to have a tough time this summer. And yes the MDC has been contacted regarding this, and we are hopeful that some moves will be made to, at the least, educate anglers on the high catch and release mortality rates during periods of high water temps.

I will PM you with some more information.

• Members

Before my son moved to Oregon, looking for more of what I taught him, we went Tiger Musky fishing at Fellows Lake. We didn't catch one, but made the best of the day catching crappie, and bass...(all released except 4 crappie...dinner). This is a Prime fishery for a chance to actually catch a really Big Fish...I know that it is hard to let something go that you are proud of. I kept a 5lb bass from Springfield Lake some years ago...paraded around showing my boys....the most stupid thing I have ever done in this sport. This was before camera phones, but I should have just let the fish go after getting the thrill of figuring out where it was at...fishing from the bank...and I took a long time re-teaching my boys the importance of catch and release...that fish would have never reached 5 lbs if someone had taken it out of the lake...

I am from Ohio and I have caught both Muskie, and Pike...I have also seen the end of some great fisheries...Fellows is one of them...but we have to protect these fish...I have seen the pictures in the shack and move my grandchildren away from them because they were dead fish.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

pruett,

I love your posts and education is really what is needed. I wish the MDC would put some educational signs at the launch and public fishing areas. They also need to give some educational resources to the marina owners. I have had several head scratching conversations with Paul about his beliefs in catch and keep. All you have to do is look at the photo stream they have at the marina. They promote draining the lake of its trophy population.

Keep posting. Hopefully there will be a few that take your knowledge to heart.

KVD

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I know that this post is late, but PLEASE LISTEN to MuskieBob and Pruett417 (you aren't my cousin Pruett are you?...lol), but in Ohio our water temps were no where near what they are here back before I moved to MO. These fish can not stand the strain. Their parent fish are cold water species and this makes it worst. I also noticed the "braggin" board at the boat dock before the new owners. I just shook my head...in defense of a number of these fishermen/women/children a lot of these fish were caught fishing for other species, but I still say let them go. There is still a chance that they will survive.

• Members

Please just picture this....Look at the braggin' boards of the past, (nothing against them, we live and learn, Hopefully), but I saw a guy on the Finley that had set up a tent with his family catching fish w/minnows. No, problem. As my grandson and I got closer we noticed that he was chucking them into a 5 gallon bucket....it really screwed me up when I got close enough to ask him if I could see his catch....a Bunch of 5 to 9 inch smallmouth...while his kids watched..validating that this is okay....I looked at my grandson and told him....4 or twenty four years old if I ever caught him doing that...

• Members

I know that this post is late, but PLEASE LISTEN to MuskieBob and Pruett417 (you aren't my cousin Pruett are you?...lol), but in Ohio our water temps were no where near what they are here back before I moved to MO. These fish can not stand the strain. Their parent fish are cold water species and this makes it worst. I also noticed the "braggin" board at the boat dock before the new owners. I just shook my head...in defense of a number of these fishermen/women/children a lot of these fish were caught fishing for other species, but I still say let them go. There is still a chance that they will survive.

No not a cousin, but glad you share the same conservation minded ideals. I can tell you that certain things have been proposed to the MDC and the Marina owners at Fellows Lake, while I have not heard where we stand on this, I trust that the right decisions will be made.