Fun On The St. Francis

Gavin

That's about how I would do it...I won't waste time doing much fishing in the middle of the big pools, just paddle through them to get to moving water. Which means that out of 11 miles, you're actually fishing less than half of it. I'd hate to do the St. Francis down there in a raft in the summer. If you got an upstream wind you'd REALLY have to work to get a raft down the river.

The St. Francis seems to have few big smallmouth, and the spotted bass won't get much over 15 inches, but there ARE some big largemouth in it. I've only known one smallie over 20 inches to come from the St. Francis by anybody I know, and it was caught in the big pool below Big Creek at SAB. Corey and I floated from Cedar Bottom to Saco one early summer day (and that's a VERY long day, truly daylight to dark because it's almost 14 miles), and he caught a largemouth on a big buzzbait out of the middle of a short but very deep pool that was well over 6 pounds. That day, except for that fish, every bass we caught of all three species was in fast, relatively shallow water.

The edges of the deep holes produce, if there are rocks to hold the fish high. I have run cranks thru the middle of the deep holes and produced a few fish at times.

I typically save those long slow floats for later in Aug. But with the temps this weekend, I think it will be great.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

— Hunter S. Thompson

I think we are going to do the 34 bridge to Bounds Creek on Sunday now, new time constraints. Bees are getting moved to the farm Sat. night and I need to settle them in Sunday morn.

I am looking at pulling an overnighter in the next few weeks on the upper portions. My new floating buddy has access to some property that we can camp on 1/2 way thru a 15 mile section. New water for me, looking forward to it.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

— Hunter S. Thompson

• Members

Hey jd, what upper section if you don't mind me asking? I have access as well in an upper reach. No biggie if you want to keep it to yourself. I'm new to the board and all. I'm looking to expand my sections of fishing since I've been keeping to a general area all these years. No fishing real fishin buddies for me, I'm pretty much solo. Lookin to expand that too. Let me know and good luck!

It is somewhere above C Hwy. All I was told it was 4x4 going in, not really sure if the guy still owns it.

Trouble with an overnighter on any part of the area is leaving a vehicle at a public access. Might not be in one piece when you return. I will probably get Dad to put us in and pull us out.

— Hunter S. Thompson

Yeah, I had an in with a landowner in that section, too, but she died last year and I don't know what the status is now. Without something like that, it's a 14-15 mile float with no intermediate public access, and neither the put in nor the take out is a good place to leave a vehicle overnight. The put in I use below the Cedar Bottom Bridge along the side of Black Mountain is one of only two places I've ever had a vehicle broken into. Although it was my own stupidity for leaving a trolling motor battery in the back floor in plain sight...too much temptation, I guess.

• Members

I'm around Cedar Bottom/Hwy E. Not dropping my exact location here ya know. Probably said too much already. Some of you know the river well.

Yes shuttles are hard unless I'm putting in at Silvermines. I'm usually pulling out at E bridge but they've been building a new bridge there this summer. Haven't been far past it but been lookin to float down to Marble Creek. I believe C/Dug Out is about 15 or so miles from what I've read. May be wrong with the mileage though. Careful leaving a vehicle around for sure. There's a reputation for the area but the folks around me are good. Family of mine has been goin there for decades.

I will say most times where I'm goin on the river I end up paddling back instead of shuttles. That's part of the deal going solo I guess.

Hey Al, I read your write-up on the river some time ago and it is great work! Section by section and geology of the area inspired me to research it myself. Gave me a whole new understanding of the river I learned to cast a rod on. I just wanted to make sure I told you thank you.

Sorry for going off topic!

I think we are going to do the 34 bridge to Bounds Creek on Sunday now, new time constraints. Bees are getting moved to the farm Sat. night and I need to settle them in Sunday morn.

I am looking at pulling an overnighter in the next few weeks on the upper portions. My new floating buddy has access to some property that we can camp on 1/2 way thru a 15 mile section. New water for me, looking forward to it.

Just put one of your hives in the car with the windows down....no one will mess with your vehicle.

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor