Keeping fish in trophy water

jdavis

• Members

I've had a couple run ins at Taney w/ folks trying to tell me how to fish, or what to do with my fish after I caught it, and I've witnessed others being subject to the same "harassment." And it was always a flyfisher doing it! I'm a devoted fly flinger but it just irritated the hell out of me when that stuff happened. Ya know, if you're so darn concerned about a fish, then why are you trying to drag it in with a hook in its mouth anyway? Seems kinda hypocritical don't it? Yeah, if I see someone doing something outrageous, like netting, keeping dozens, etc. I will call MDC. But if someone puts a 13 incher on a stringer, something like that, man, let it slide. Like the above posts show, if they're stocking on average 2000 per day, learn to pick your fights, ain't right to mess up someone's day by showing them up. And if someone suggests you let your 20 incher go and just make a replica mount, tell em sure, if you'll pay for it. Let's see just how concerned they are about the poor fishy then.

Hopefully this thread will make those folks inclined to bug other anglers about releasing fish to think. You mean well, but just donate an extra buck or two to Trout Unlimited rather than make some guy feel guilty for doing what the law allows.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Sorry you feel that way... but you that right.

If I "pay for" giving someone advice in a polite way, so be it. But you know I've never been yelled at for trying to help in a constructive way. If I do it with an attitude, that's another thing and it sounds like porochi has experienced alot of attitudes, bad ones unfortunately. Hope you have some good ones in the furture.

As for the 13 inch rainbow, the reason I would say something, and I will every time, is to try to keep this person from getting a ticket. If he brushes me off and shows he doesn't care, I will make a call if I can to an agent or the hatchery simply because if he's keeping a 13 incher, he'll keep a 14 and a 15 and a 16-incher until he's caught. I report poachers when I can- period.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

There are plenty of fish in the lake. The only thing Taney lacks is enough public bank access to fishable water.

Amen to that. I wish there was more public bank access. I have RA so it is kind of hard for me to get around in a boat unless it is really stabil and there aren't that many places with decent access from the bank. I don't own (read .. can't afford) a big boat so I try to find places I can fish from bank.

I have tried some of the docks and sometimes a person can fish from them but most of the time they are full up. Makes it kind of rough.

I would rather be fishin'.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

As for the 13 inch rainbow, the reason I would say something, and I will every time, is to try to keep this person from getting a ticket. If he brushes me off and shows he doesn't care, I will make a call if I can to an agent or the hatchery simply because if he's keeping a 13 incher, he'll keep a 14 and a 15 and a 16-incher until he's caught. I report poachers when I can- period.

I agree poaching isn't right if it is done intentionally. I think however the point porochi was trying to make is unless someone physically handles and measures the fish how do they know it is a 13 incher. I think he is complaining about the same one I complained about. It is the attitude that if someone keeps a fish they are immediatly suspect of breaking the law and then someone jumps them. If someone does jump them and it turns out they were wrong and the fish is legal. do they back off, no. They start lecturing about them being trout killers. I agree with porochi, if a person is that worried about it they probably shouldn't be fishing in the first place.

The point that has been repeatedly made is it is legal and it is my right to keep a legal fish if I decide to and no one should harass me about it.

I personally know a guy who fishes nearly every day..he is a catch and relese fisherman exclusevly yet he kills nearly every fish he catches. He uses treble hooks and one of those old plastic hook dislodgers to remove the hook from the fish. Every fish he releases is a bleeding floater. But hey, he is a catch and release fisherman.....obviously a better sportsman and on a higher moal ground than me, after all I am a trout killer who keeps a fish to eat once in a while.

No, I have never called the law on him because the law doesn't say he can't use treble hooks and an old plastic dislodger to remove the hooks from his fish.

So here is a guy who kills hundereds of trout (some very large) every year who is on a higher moral ground than someone who keeps a fish once in a while to eat simply because he is a catch and release fisherman.

I am sorry but I simply don't agree with the holierthanthou attitude some people have.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

• Root Admin

I'll back off the statement about the 13-inch in the light of Gonefishin's post. I would not physically measure anyone's fish nor would I glare or harass at anyone who had a stringer of trout. The only way I'd say anything is if the trout were obviously in the slot. My intention of my comments about a 13 inch trout is that... hard to explain... first and foremost I would inform to try to help educate, not to point a finger.

9 of 10 people I've talked to about the rules have thanked me for doing so- they simply didn't understand.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

• Members

Did you know that in Europe they do not practice catch-n-release? In England they report the number and size of fish that were taken out and they are replaced with the same size and number. They do practice no cull. However catch-n-release is not as welcomed as it is here. Why? Because of the mortality rate of released fish and they believe the released fish are wiser and harder to catch at first, then become so practice at being caught that do not fight well.

I really find no problem with an angler keeping his legal limit that is caught in a legal manner. If it is a problem, then the legal part of fishing needs to be changed, the limit or the method. Often fly fishermen become snobbish, arrogant and better than others. Remember, every angler goes to the river and fishes the best way they know how. If taught a better more productive method of fishing, most anglers will welcome it. The best candidates for new fly fishermen are people that already are fishing some other method. I find that most exceptional fly fishermen started with a cane pole and a Prince Albert can of worms. Few are the great fly fishermen that started off fly fishing. If you teach a good angler how to catch as many fish as he/she wants, soon the desire to keep fish everytime they go fishing is no longer there. Strange isn't it, the more we catch them, the more we respect them, and the more we want to save them for someone else who can enjoy them as we have. Just the opposite of what one would expect. So I suggest that we teach them fly fishing instead of cramming it down their throats. We tempt them by catching more fish than they and soon they will ask to be taught. If they don't ask, they are not ready to be taught yet. Fishing teaches us all humility and patience, if it hasn't taught you that you are not fishing enough.

Fox Statler

Fishin' What They See,

Fox Statler

Fox:

Very well said. I couldn't agree more. I have been fishing for over 40 years with all kinds of equipment from Fly Rod to Bait Caster. I fish because I enjoy fishing not because I want to lord it over others.

Again....Great Response.

• Members

Offering advice, attempting to "educate" others, w/out asking em, I think is bad manners. Maybe that's how momma raised me, but seriously, why go up to someone and offer unsolicited advice or "educate" them about fishing, rules, etc. unless they ask? Couple years ago I was fishing taney with a new flyrod, reel, line, etc. All new stuff. And I was minding my own business, and god forbid, watching my backcast! Some self-appointed flyfishing instructor walked over and told me I shouldn't watch my backcast and proceeded to tell me (I've been flyfishing for 20 years) how to properly cast. You know what, sometimes I like to watch my backcast, especially when I'm unfamiliar with the rod and not only want to feel it load, but want to watch it as well. I was ticked that someone interrupted me and acted as though I was a novice. I probably could teach Lefty Kreh a thing or two about flyfishing ya know? I didn't say anything rude, I just said I meant to watch my backcast cause I had a new rod. I've had a lot of anglers ask me for advice on the stream and I'll freely give it, often with a fly or two to boot, if that's what they's biting. But I'd never just up and approach someone and start "educating" them. Ain't right, and could get you a punch in the mouth too. No matter your good intentions, what your telling that person is they are wrong and you are right (and smarter, more rightous, etc.)

I've never responded more to a thread than this one, guess it just touched a nerve, and yes, I've had more than my share of stream encounters with know-it-alls. I swear, they seek me out! When fishing, man, I just want to do my thing and be totally left alone. i do my best to ignore everyone else. I wouldn't even fish Taney 'cept darn it, there are some nice trout in there! I swear I'll never fish there again after tangling with the crowds, then I'll hear about a state record brown being caught on a size 16 scud, and I'm back again...

Gonefishin - dangit - You are gettin all worked up again - you were having lots more fun talking about backing ferrets! - But really, you and Porochi sound like you would rather be fishing in the middle of nowhere by yourselves - and that sounds pretty good to me! Like you P. I always think taney is too crowded, but MT is a long ways away - so I try to enjoy it no matter what - because when all's said and done - It's Fishin! Even though people irritate the heck out of me sometimes!

But you know - the world has taken shape - for good or bad, by people telling others their opinions about things and sharing information and viewpoints. Sometimes this is met with open ears - sometimes it's met with "a punch in the mouth". I grew up keeping as many fish as our limits would hold - and laughing at Virgil Ward on TV when he threw big fish back. But now I am of the opinion that it is better to let 'em go. Not that I think I am "holier" than anything. Just my view. So if I come up and start lecturing you - you should probably punch me in the mouth - or anyone else that is rude enough to lecture. But if someone comes up to offer as Phil put it "constuctive" advice - or to share their view on something they believe in in a calm and courteous manner I would like to think you could see them as someone who too is passionate about what they do - just like you are. They just may want to outwardly express it and you don't - no biggy. Cause if I punched everyone in the mouth that every tried to give me advice in this life - my hands would be too sore to fly fish!

JS

"We are living in the midst of a Creation that is mostly mysterious - that even when visible, is never fully imaginable".

-Wendell Berry-

• Members

If you don't want to be bothered please wear a big sign around your neck that says "Don't bug me I don't like other people." That will at least allow the rest of us, who may enjoy some friendly advice, the opporutunity to grow and learn more about this wonderful sport.

Lilley, did you hear anything back from your contact up at the hatchery on the two guys fishing from shore that were using hatchery formula powerbait below chute #2 last week?