Strange Things We See On The Water

Big Brown Trout

Back when my dad, grandad, and I fished the middle fork of the Salt we would stop at a city park lake before we got to the river and do the same thing (flip the boat)...

Shelbyville? Honeywell?

Ma's family was from Bethel, still have some kin up there. Fished the Salt as a little kid a few times, grasshoppers & bullheads.

I can't dance like I used to.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading these and reminds me of another story. The first time I ever wade fished for smallmouth I was fishing a pretty small stream with only a few deep holes...even those were only about waist deep at best. The water was a bit dingy. Near the access site another stream empties into the one I am fishing and creates a bit of gravel bar that extend 3/4 quarters of the way across the stream. the other side of this gravel bar is the "deep" hole followed by shallow water and the bridge I had parked at. There is no way to walk around the hole and banks are too steep to exit.

It is dusk and as I am nearing this gravel bar I see a very large brown animal...I know it was not a small bear, but is sure looked like one. As I approached quietly to get a better look I still could not make out what is was, when it sensed something was up. It went right into the pool I had to wade through and disappeared. I waited for a couple minutes, but it never reappeared. A bit freaked out and losing daylight fast I eventually just waded on through with no incident. Unless there was an underground tunnel of some sort that thing was probably still hiding as I walked through.

In hindsight it may have been a very large beaver, but at that time I didn't realize how big they could get and it sure didn't look like one ( I have a large resident beaver behind my house that I see and it looked look nothing like what I saw that day). I have fished the stream since then and it still give me the willies a bit. I call it the Yeti hole.

Fishing LOZ always provides some entertainment. If you ever fish near Tan Tar A I am sure you have witnessed the pontoon with the rainbow flag and naked guy. If you fish the NIangua from Bennett to Prosperine I know you have seen stuff!!! As for funny nature it still has to be a squirrel falling out of a tree and hitting the water. Squirrels can get the same "shocked" look as humans... only seen it happen once but it was funny.