Freshwater Drum Aka Sheepshead

repocrazy12

Sure they weren't buffalo's? If they were indeed Drum they will pick up slow moving bottom lures.

I'm sure they were Drum. The water on the Current was perfectly clear. The ones I fished for spooked like Bonefish though.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

I have never sen a buffalo pick up a lure. In a way i am very thankful we have a large population of drum here on LOZ they consume large quantifies of zebra mussels the conservation people tell me.the thing with the jigging spoon I Posted is because like catfish they follow the whites and pick up dead shad floating to bottom after the whites go through their slashing party.

I'm sure they were Drum. The water on the Current was perfectly clear. The ones I fished for spooked like Bonefish though.

Oops, I meant on the Jacks Fork. Buffalo run in schools and are fairly common in the highland rivers, and are often mistaken for carp or drum.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

We have tons of drum up here on the Mississippi River. Anytime you throw crankbaits around you catch a bunch. I never really targeted them but I know some guys who fillet them as soon as they catch them a say they are pretty good.

Yep I've caught tons of drum on the Mississippi on crawdad colored wiggle warts and shad colored crankbaits. In fact one of the best colors I've used for them is similar to the color of a drum. Silvery white with iridescent purple and blue.

• Members

Off topic, but was there enough water up at the Prongs for a decent float? Lots of dragging I suppose?

The float wasn't to bad. The water level was 1.49 at 17 bridge. I dragged a few times in between holes. Nothing that really drove me crazy. I was using a kayak so I had a much easier time. I did finally catch a drum. It was in Gar hole. He was 18 inches. There were a few more in there. I also caught a nice 17 inch Smally by fishing the bottom of Gar hole.