OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Lancer09

The Fly Thread

Some good looking flies...The trick to a tight deer hair head isn't what you have been taught. 3 wraps & spin isn't as good as the Wapsi method. It is in and old book by Lacey Gee, Practical Flies and Their Construction. You can find it used cheap. Jerry Jarosik & Tom Ziegler refined that method a bit by using a darning needle to pull the loop. With a bit of practice you can get incredible control and a super tight head. If you cant find it, I can round up my copy. Hargrove has one too.

Some good looking flies...The trick to a tight deer hair head isn't what you have been taught. 3 wraps & spin isn't as good as the Wapsi method. It is in and old book by Lacey Gee, Practical Flies and Their Construction. You can find it used cheap. Jerry Jarosik & Tom Ziegler refined that method a bit by using a darning needle to pull the loop. With a bit of practice you can get incredible control and a super tight head. If you cant find it, I can round up my copy. Hargrove has one too.

That is a good book but, Mike George has a very good technique that is fairly easy to learn. He also has a video out. http://www.deerhairsculptures.com/Mustad-Award-Winning-Patterns.html

It's tied on an Owner worm hook so most of the hook's weight is on that side of the eye and to help it flip even more I hid some lead wire in the belly. It swims right in my bathtub.

An upside down deer hair frog. 4/0

0pd7.jpg

Did you spin the hair over the lead? I've watched a lot of frogs in ponds and noticed when, at rest, their back end is usually below the water and their head is the only think above the surface. I'm wondering how putting some weight or a bead behind the spun hair, near the bend, would effect the action. I'll have to play around with it.