Saturday 10/12 Fishing Report

9LB

Spent the entire day fishing Saturday. We had 2 boats out. 1 was jiggin for walleyes and crappies and I went bass fishing.

Water temp was 68, thought is would drop a little more then that.

Walleye/crappie boat - they caught a ton of fish but only about 6 keeper crappies and no keeper walleyes. Worm seemed better then the minnow. They fished the brush piles and steep banks and bottom bounced.

Bass Fishing was on FIRE !!! I figured it would be spinner baits and crank baits but that was not the ticket. The PBJ jig just hammered them. It seemed they were just inside main lake points, not quite to secondary points. You needed to find a little drop off and some chunk rock. It also helped to have a little sparkle/glitter in the trailer. I aslo cuaght about 6 on the wiggle wart. I caught a few on a crankbait but I was even having more luck swimming the jig vs a crankbait. I guess they are hammering the crawdads and not after the shad? Had a hard time finding any real shad piles or bait balls. Most fish were 6 - 20 feet of water. If I did not count them you know we caught a bunch I am sure it was over 30 with no real biguns but plenty of nice 2.5 lbers. Had so MANY BIG fish following lures to the boat I actually started figure 8's at the boat like when you musky fish. Actually had 2 bite that way right at the boat. Great weather, Great Fishing,

post-12143-0-83497900-1381760051_thumb.j

9lb, that figure 8 thing might be the "tip of the year". I had never thought of doing that with followers, but it makes sense. Bass are a predator just like muskie. They probably just drop down a few feet waiting to see what happens. Another tactic might be just to drop the bait straight down and avoid the short line strike.

I tried just dropping the jig at the boat but they would high tail it out of there they wanted it to keep tracking but it worked with the wart a few times. I was actually joking with my fishn partner when i did it the first time, then I actually got bit. I will definately do this more often.

• Members

I guess you fished around the main lake? Water looks clear is why i say that. I have been told that the spinnerbait and buzz is working up in the river arms pretty good for 2-3lb bass. Love that wart bite. Good report 9lb.

Yes, twin bridges to hawkers point. water was pretty clear. I spent a small amount of time down the big sac arm past chicken rock but there was boats on all my spots so I went back up to the main lake. Had the best luck in the early morning up in a cove by Price branch.

A few years ago when I was into the bass tournament fishing scene I went to Kentucky Lake and some of the local guides and professional anglers were using a method called "ripping a jig" They would fish a lot like you are describing, but after letting the jig fall mainly in 15-20' of water would rip the jig kind of like spoon fishing maybe 8-10 off the bottom and let it free fall. Of course the only hint of a bite was if the line just went slack on the fall. Have you tried this?