The Cabins at Montauk?

rookie

• Members

I am planning to do a little fishing this C&R season at Montauk and wondering if the cabins are in good shape, if so are there any cabins in particular that are closer or larger or have any other advantages than other cabins.

And maybe a quick review of flies that I should stock up on before the trip?

Thanks

The cabins in the park are open year round. There in pretty decent shape, but the ones with the hot tubs are the best (and hardest to book). Ask the park staff for additional recommendations.

As for flies...in the park..micro eggs, midges (sunk & on top), general purpose nypmhs, and mohairs should do the trick. Cheers.

if you are looking for a a cabin that has a full kitchen then reeds up at the top of the park is an excellent place to go. We have known every owner of the place and the folks that have owned it for the past 5 years or so (art and kelly) have really put alot of money and effort in the place to make it nicer. They have a full store if you need anything including flies food etc. I plan on heading down for c+r on college break so i may run into ya down there. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I will have to say that I have not been impressed with Reed's fly tackle, especially fly selection. But, I have heard that their cabins are decent and cheap.

I wouldn't let the rowdiness of the cabins at Montauk factor in. That's probably pretty rare, or non-existant during winter C&R. If you really want peace and tranquility, stay in the campgrounds (if you have some way of staying warm at night). The place is a ghost town during winter, which is a welcome change to the normal summer crowd.

Stayed in one of the Montauk condo units with my wife in November and I think we were the only ones in our building, though the hot tub condo's were full. Price wasnt that bad either. They usually require that you book Friday & Saturday, but they will wave that if they arent full.

I've stayed at Reed's a couple times and its OK, but prefer the scenery in the park. I've also herd good things about Marlin's http://marlinsmontaukcabin.com/ but I've never stayed. Frankly, I'd rather float the river and camp on a gravel bar. Winter camping is great, if you have the gear for it. Cheers.