Best Multi-Species Boat For Loz?

SJB

• Members

What do you think the best all around multi-species boat is for LOZ?? (Doesn't necessarily need to be a specific brand/model) This would be used for bass, crappie, stripper/whites, cat fishing, and maybe some walleye fishing. It needs to be safe with all the boat traffic/wakes, but very "fishable" with plenty of storage. It would be for 1 to 3 people, though usually one. It would outdoors all the time, kept on a lift under a boat dock.

Thanks for your input.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been running a Alumacraft 165 Navigator tiller with a 75 Evinrude ETEC since 2010. The 90 inch beam makes it very stable, and the semi V design is dry and safe in the largest boat wake waves. Plenty of room for three, but not so large as to be too much boat for one. I will try to post a link to an earlier post of mine about the boat. It includes pictures.

A similar design by Lund would be a bit more expensive but they make solid boats with great resale value. I just did not want to buy a four stroke Mercury.

Length width and freeboard. A good alum deepV with a strong long shaft electric troller on the front so that you can maneuver when you get trapped near docks in a large wake. Then stay off it on Saturday afternoons. About half the boaters cannot see by that time anyway.

Yeah, it can get pretty rough around there, but not as bad as if you were closer to the dam or the grand glaize bridge. RPS is right on, seeing that you want a multi-species boat. Lund, Alumacraft, and Crestliner all make similar boats. If $ is no object, go with the lund. I've ridden in a model# 1975 ProV up in Minnesota last year, and it was one "sweet" ride, even in rough water.

Being that close to the main channel of the lake, I would probably not want to go any smaller than a 19 footer.

RPS, I saw pics of you Navigator. I love the tiller set up they make now, pretty nice, especially if you have an I-pilot. You don't see too many tiller set ups on LOZ. Its a great guide boat. If my home lake were anywhere other than LOZ I would take a hard look at a set up like yours!

@lozcrappie

Having spent a considerable amount of time in all shapes and sizes of boats I have come to the conclusion that the #1 most versatile fishing boat is a 16' jon boat. It will do it all and last forever. Customize it a little to suit your needs, and if your needs change you can re-customize it. Or hell, Own two....or THREE for the cost of one factory rigged boat.

I currently have a 16' Lowe Olympic(wide Mod-V) set up as a flyfishing boat with uncluttered decks, and I have a 16' Lowe 1636 (plain ol'jon) for smaller water/rivers. And when/if I sell them I will definately make money.

While it's true that really rough water is gonna be sketchy.....How much time do you really want to spend fishing in (or driving through) 3-4' rollers? Even if your boat can handle it you'll be avoiding water like that anyway unless you compete in big money events regularly, or you're the type of guy that has to fish the opposite end of the lake from where you launch from.

My boat is not near fancy enough for a "guide" boat because it looks common and not very sexy. I can't "run and gun" in it. However, if you fish a 10 mile each direction area like I do here on the upper end of TR, you can't find better transportation and platform for a better cost. I had an outstanding modified V jon boat like wrench suggests and it was a very, very good boat. I just grew tired of bouncing through the wake boat wakes.

BTW, I have discovered Alumacraft no longer makes the Navigator. One would have to compare the new series to make the choice that suits them.

Quit talking crazy. Seriously though that Targa doesn't mind the rollers that's for sure, and if you keep a boat on a hoist where you have to cross some roughness to get to the fish then it's about as perfect of a boat for this lake as any I know.