New To The Area

Buford Mitchell

• Members

I am new to the are but have been fishing the riddle bridge area since its about 10 minutes from my house. Is it possible to fish the gasconade with any success during the winter? I have a 16/48 jon boat with a 15.5 hp motor I use. What rivers/lakes/ponds can I use it on? I don't know all the area that well and I don't want to bottom out or get on to big of water for the boat. I like to have a variety of place to fish though so any guidance in locations would be greatly appreciated......

You've got a perfect boat for where you are. You NEED to bottom out a few times, just so you know where you can run, and where you need to pole-paddle- or hop out. Just take it easy at first and you won't tear anything up that can't be fixed with a hammer and a file.

Explore and have fun, they'll bite all Winter long.

You've got more water within an hour +/- drive than you could cover in a lifetime almost, and a 16' jon can handle all of it (with a little discretionary planning). Lake O, Truman, Pomme, Big Piney, Osage and Mo.river ect.

Google "Mo.Conservation atlas" and search accesses by county/region.

I had a 16/48 also when I first moved here and I was able to run it on everything from the Gnade to the big lake O DURING THE OFF SEASON. That last part is important, the summer months on the lake with leave you swamped and cussing at all the big boats. Right now is perfect though, just watch the weather. Wrench is right just go bottom the darn thing out a few times until you figure it out. There are some accesses on post. Most turn their nose up to it because that is all they fish, the accesses. If you get away from them in your boat you might just be surprised at the quality of fishing that is nearby your workplace. PM me if you want any more info as I frequent most of the watersheds in your area, and if you see me out in the kayak (camo ascend) give me a shout...welcome to the area.

• Members

Thanks for all the feedback. I have people telling me that I won't be able to get around without a jet boat. Is that the case? I usually just take it easy because I am not out to race I am looking to fish. My little 15.5 is really no lower in the water then the bottom of the boat. If my motor hits my boat has already hit.

You will be fine as long as you go slow. When the flows pick up in the spring you will be able to run up and down the river like you own the place. If you fish it regularly through spring and onto early summer you'll learn what you can get away with as the water drops out. Once your into low water season it's not that difficult to get out and drag up a few riffles to give you access to the many large pools. Pack a couple of extra shear pins.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974