Lake Condition

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We sure could use it. I drove down all the way to Meramec Springs today, just to get some actual fishing done. Of the heap of trout there, I couldn't get a single good bite, and in the end it was a little largemouth bass that came through for me, and let me go home having had any luck.

• 3 weeks later...

A few days ago I drove to one of my usual spots I try to fish at (Unger Park), and the lake there seemed frozen thick enough that ice fishing was doable. In the end I tried carefully venturing onto the ice 10 feet away from shore, and at that point I felt I shouldn't push my luck and walked back again. But point being, it didn't seem to have problems holding me any. I'm considering going out to Bush or back to Unger park tomorrow with a camping hatchet and some rope, to see how thick the ice is, and assuming it's near 4", just trying out some ice fishing. Granted today being a bit warm might not help matters. I'm thinking the Bush Wildlife lakes being in most cases smaller and shallower, would lend themselves better to a thicker sheet of ice, than Unger lake and such bigger ones. Sound about right?

A few days ago I drove to one of my usual spots I try to fish at (Unger Park), and the lake there seemed frozen thick enough that ice fishing was doable. In the end I tried carefully venturing onto the ice 10 feet away from shore, and at that point I felt I shouldn't push my luck and walked back again. But point being, it didn't seem to have problems holding me any. I'm considering going out to Bush or back to Unger park tomorrow with a camping hatchet and some rope, to see how thick the ice is, and assuming it's near 4", just trying out some ice fishing. Granted today being a bit warm might not help matters. I'm thinking the Bush Wildlife lakes being in most cases smaller and shallower, would lend themselves better to a thicker sheet of ice, than Unger lake and such bigger ones. Sound about right?

Not sure how shallow you may think the Busch lakes are. They are somewhat shallow in spots but deeper in other spots. I personally know of one person that has gone through the ice in the past. Lucky for him he wasn't that far out but still needed help getting out. Oh yes, paramedics and fire truck arrived too. He was very embarrassed in the end but it could have been worse. We certainly have had a long cold period and the ice should be thick enough. Just be sure before going too far out. Going to be a while before we see any open water there.

Well, I went out today to test the ice (but not at Bush CA) and thankfully it held without a problem. I got a late start so I just ended up going to the nearest suitably small lake I could think of, so I went to Preslar Lake in Fenton. Have to say it was exciting. First not knowing how thick the ice really was and whether it would truly hold, then cutting holes in thick ice with a camping hatchet, felt like it was impossible to do without getting some water on you, but overall I was proud of the ways I thought of dealing with the challenges involved. Unfortunately I had no bites but important thing was that I didn't fall through. Was surprised how deep Preslar lake seemed to be. It felt like it was easily 7 feet deep not more than 20 yards from shore. Maybe tomorrow or sunday I'll try my luck at bush or someplace else where I feel like there's more fish than at Preslar. Haven't had any luck there personally no matter the season. Anyways, of the lures I tried to jig around, I had 2 roostertails, and a roadrunner type deal first with one of those white plastics with the twirly tails that look like frog legs, and then just a plain old trout worm.