Lake Condition

• Members

I have been told by those in the know that the best winter fishing around is near powerplants. The water they return to the river/lake is artificially warm and this draws fish keeping their metabolism higher than it would be in frozen conditions. Labadie might be a good place to start.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How thick was the ice? We took an auger out to a small pond in St. Peter's and found it had close to 10" of ice.

At the lake I went to both on Friday and Sunday, the ice was about 4-5 inches thick. I'd hate to have to hack away through 10 inches of ice with a little camping hatchet.

10"? That's insane. I might have to check out a couple places tomorrow.

How much of the ice was good, and how much was rotten?

WARNING!! Comments to be interpreted at own risk.

Time spent fishing is never wasted.

Went out to lake 21 yesterday and did some ice fishing. Only had a few hits but it was my first time so I had fun. There had to be 5-8 inches of ice on the lake. Is there anything that works better than others when it comes to Ice fishing? I'm still new to this

• Members

Went out to lake 21 yesterday and did some ice fishing. Only had a few hits but it was my first time so I had fun. There had to be 5-8 inches of ice on the lake. Is there anything that works better than others when it comes to Ice fishing? I'm still new to this

What was your setup?

• Members

I don't know how hard it is to find live bait down here this time of year but we always vertical jig minnows or waxy worms on a bubble gum head jig. That usually keeps the lines pretty active which makes the cold weather a little easier to tolerate. We've pulled up everything from perch and bluegills to large pike with that method.