Crappie

jerry241

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the lake up more inflow coming in and it sitting around 47 ( just verified the temp ) I would be looking in 15 to 30 fow from Hickory creek to Horseshoe bend on pole timber. Also look for stand alone boulders along bluff walls in that same depth. That's my best guess, it typically takes me about 2 good days after duck season to find them so be ready to cover a lot of water.

Trolling will be the best way to find them and then when you do try jigging them catch 4 then move on mark a good 10 to 20 areas and after that repeat the steps catch a couple and move to the next etc. Sorry I cant be more help but it is Duck season and my attention is diverted to Feathers and not Fins this time of year.

Word of caution.

Once you try trolling and have success, F&F will turn you into his whipping boy and try to teach you all kinds of new things. It's an addiction. :-)

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

I read JT Crappies report from this week and he said crappie was a bit slow and with rising water as F&F said, it could be challenging.

The weather will be beautiful so it really doesn't matter. It will be great fishing weather worthy of getting out.

I think the advice above is about as good as it can get. It's going to take a days worth of work to find them. They will be iscolated in an area and grouped tight. Finding them is key. Then the fun happens. Getting them to bite.

If you have a good fish finder, look for them while trolling. Spend no more than 5-10mins in a spot. If they don't bite within 30-60 seconds, pull up and recast. Crappie love to see the bait fall. So you should get bit within 30seconds. With cold water, might be longer. Sometimes it has to "soak" to get a bite. You want the active fish so keep it short and sweet and fish the active fish. Don't waste an hour on a brush pile without a bite.

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

I'm working on getting the boat rigged for trolling. Rod holders etc. hooping to get some free days to experiment with boat speed etc. then I'd love to really get after it in February. Free time kinda hard to come by these days... Dang holidays. HA

So I had my arm twisted to go out to the lake today there was a rumor of geese. Anyway did spend some time on the graph while cruising. South of Montne ( toward hickory) water was between 41 and 43..... Back of Montne 51.2 to 47. Beaver shore to Horseshoe Bend 44 to 47. Large shad schools in front of Beaver shores and in Montne. Crappie marks in both areas from 15 to 25fow, White bass in same area.

Did see plenty of people spoon fishing couple trollers.

OK WHO HAD THE OAF Truck in PC this afternoon?