Tenkara In The Ozarks?

Ham

4 hours ago, Quillback said:

I wonder how light the 16' versions are?  Might be great for crappie.

TenkaraBum.com

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

On January 7, 2014 at 7:23 PM, timsfly said:

I've been fishing a tenkara rod for 7 or 8 years now, it has it limitations, especially on big fast water, I fish it

a lot on Roaring River, and I've used it on Crane creek and flat creek, and I've used it on some streams out west, a joy on small

water, and trout 18" and smaller, I tried it on Taney, it was fun till you hit a hot 16-17 inch fish

I've fished it out of my kayak, it is fun for bluegill, and other panfish, I've got tenkara type rods that are 6',7', 10' and one that is 16'

they all have their place, but they'll never replace my fly rods.

Tim... any suggestions for a small stream rod.  My budget is around 180 or less.

I use a rod that is only 99$ I used to sell them, can't get em

anymore. Lots of rods out there under 150.00

my favorite is 10' and has a medium action

Tim Homesley

23387 st. hwy 112

Cassville, Mo 65625

Roaring River State park

Tim's Fly Shop

www.missouritrout.com/timsflyshop

Mic,

tim has all the practical knowledge here AND I certainly agree that there is a huge amount of fish able stuff out there. 

The Tenkara Bum guy Chris has made trips down to Sowbug and given talks. I've managed to miss all of those. http://www.tenkarabum.com has a section where he discusses rods a gives good descriptions of what rod for what fish and you can email him with questions about rod selection. I think you can get started for $180 for sure. Whole different world. I'm a complete noob again. 

Take your time and take a look at what's available. 

23 hours ago, Ham said:

Oh Merry Christmas to me! My wife got me the Nissin Starter Kit win a 360 cm 6:4 rod from TenkaraBum. Boy is it light. Minnows and tiny fish beware! I'm coming for you! I am concerned that if I accidentally tangle with something too large I could snap the rod.

I'm super excited. I'll keep y'all posted.

Two words...gizzard shad!

1 hour ago, dtrs5kprs said:

Two words...gizzard shad!

From your lips, to God's ears. That would awesome!

10 hours ago, Ham said:

Mic,

tim has all the practical knowledge here AND I certainly agree that there is a huge amount of fish able stuff out there. 

The Tenkara Bum guy Chris has made trips down to Sowbug and given talks. I've managed to miss all of those. http://www.tenkarabum.com has a section where he discusses rods a gives good descriptions of what rod for what fish and you can email him with questions about rod selection. I think you can get started for $180 for sure. Whole different world. I'm a complete noob again. 

Take your time and take a look at what's available. 

I'm already doing that. I trying to decide on the rod. I'm down to the one you got or the Suntech Kurenai rod. It is a lightweight rod which would be perfect for Mill Creek and Blue Springs Creek. I don't know if it would work in the trout parks... But I don't know if I would use it there.