Nucanoe

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coosa is a great river kayak...doesn't track well on flat water though. It is also pretty heavy.

Ha! You didn't make it sound so great. LOL!

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

I agree with wrench and Mitch. flipping. flipping might be done sitting down . I would not want to do it. Pitching would be real hard. How long are these pitches your talking about chief.

AL To compare Pitching with a fly rod to Pitching with bait casting or spinning reel is is not really comparable.

Depends on the rod and the situation. Does it have to go a certain length before it is call a flip or a pitch?

I been know to string off a bit of line and give it a couple of swings before letting go at the correct moment for maxium effectivness and presentation at the most oppurtune spot for flipping.

As for picthing, about 2 or 3 times the length of your rod. Anything more than that and you are fly fishing. :evilish:

Chief Grey Bear

I. do not do a lot flipping except in back of docks over cables. Those cast are from about 15-20 ft max. pitching however is something I use a lot party because of bad shoulders. Also like to fish the back corners of dock earlier in the season and I think i can cause a disturbance buy going back between the docks with a boat so I stand off and pitch. I use a preferably a 7 ft rod with a very fast reel bait casting reel on it . Most of these cast or from 30 to 35 ft. from me to the target. I think pitching can be much more accurate than regular casting at that range for me. not to mention saving stress on the shoulder.

You are pitching 30-35 feet???? And reeling in? Sounds like flipping to me.

Chief Grey Bear

chief were on different wave lengths. What I call flipping is when I have about 15 ft of line out off the reel. I just pick up the line in one hand give the line a swing about 5 ' or whatever from the tip and drop it into a spot. Pitching I let about 5 foot of line hang of the rod tip swing the line at the target and let the line fed from the reel. It may be different than many people do but I do not know what many people do. I can tell you it saves a lot of stress on the shoulder.

I've never messed with the NuCanoe...its easy enough for me to stand & fly cast out of my 17' tandem canoe. The Coosa is pretty nice...but its a heavy beast, weighs more than my 17' tandem canoe...but most sit on top kayaks weigh 65-75lbs...I'm not much for standing out of my 14' 8" solo canoe..but I sit high enough to fish a jig.

I don't flip or pitch much...fishing short rods as I do in a canoe, short casts are more effective than flipping/pitching. However, my brother flips all the time when in the canoe with me. He is using a 6 ft. rod compared to my 5.5 footers, and likes to flip jigs. I'm in the back of the canoe keeping it a normal short cast length, 25-35 feet, off the banks, and he gets that distance sitting down. Four feet or so of line off the end of the rod, lure in hand, underhand swing forward while releasing the spool, with a 1/4 ounce jig it'll go out there.

Al whathe does is exactly that I do. I think the differance in the two presoectives is the higher sides on my big targa deep V. I could pich out of a canoe sitting down but I would not like to. and yes it is easy to get a 1/4 oz or even less out 35 ft if the tackle is balanced, line, rod and reel. you can be very acurate with pitching. for me it is conserving the shoulder. I forgot two things you need A fast reel and a educated thumb.