Port Hudson Ca Lake Any Good?

Haris122

Was thinking of new fishing spots to go see once spring really gets going. I've got a few places in mind already, but Port Hudson Lake seems like another nice potential spot, so anyone had any experience with it? Is it conducive any to fishing from the bank? Or from a kayak?

• Members

The dam and the coves closest to the ramp are easily accessible to a shore bound angler.

But a kayak is probably the best way to access the entire lake.

There is a lot of standing timber and aquatic vegetation to deal with.

"Joy to the fishes..."

Cool,thanks. I'm hoping I can check that place out soon. From the map and satellite images it looks like a pretty nice lake. How's the action been for you? I don't particularly care about size or types of fish, as long as there's action, so would be nice if it's worth an hour drive.

I don't have a lot of experience there, but some. Fishing from the bank is decent for small fish but a kayak would be much better. I haven't fished it from a boat in years, but I think it would be worth your time. Very pretty and infrequently used lake.

The "infrequently used" might give you a hint as to the fishing. The reports I've heard generally are so-so at best. In fact I think its reputation among the locals is generally that it's "fished out." I have my doubts and in fact think it could be pretty good if you have a boat and patience to find the right pattern.

I have heard that the catfishing can be decent, but never tried.

I was there the day the lake opened to anglers, in 1996 believe. Boats were literally lined up for a mile or two down the road waiting to get in. The bass were football-sized then, and everybody and his brother was catching them. In the years since as I say its reputation is that it's reliable for small fish, a decent take the kids fishing lake, but if you're looking for hogs go elsewhere.

You in your kayak and a good pattern may well prove that wrong.

If it's the lake I'm thinking of. It's just north of Gerald. Small but very scenic lake, some standing timber in both the arms. I think one side was a lot shallower than the other.

Went there about 6/7 yrs ago, fished for crappie out of a jonboat. Don't remember catching any crappie, but did remember catching a good number of small bass. I think most were around 10-12". Don't remember catching anything bigger than 12". We were only using crappie jigs, and not targeting bass.

Did they ever call the lake something else?

@lozcrappie

I was surprised I had never heard of Port Hudson Lake. A 55 acre lake, no more than a half mile from one extreme corner to the other with parking for 40 rigs, Peculiar.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

I went there when it opened and the fishing was very good for a while.

It got a lot of pressure back then and as usual for an MDC Lake it got fished out of decent fish.

Last time I went it was overrun with dinks.

Seems like MDC advertises these lakes and they get killed.

Not sure the internet is a good thing sometimes.

Plastic worms were the ticket.

Pete

A gravel parking lot and ramp with parking for two rigs would have been more appropriate for such a small lake.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I found this lake a handful of years back while working. I was amazed at the absolutely huge state of the art parking lot/boat ramp. The lake looks fantastic, tons of wood and grass to fish. All I caught were dinks while fishing the banks. I started hauling the boat down there a few times and it didn't get much better. It seemed like it was one of those lakes where you can literally catch a fish on every cast, but never catch anything of size. I tried throwing big crankbaits, 10" worms, anything I could think of to coax a big fish to bite and it just never happened. They could definitely be in there.......but I couldn't get them.