Whites Running In Spring River Yet?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this sounds weird, but I swear they are always there. Sometimes are better than others and there is definitely a major run in the spring and again in late summer early fall, but you can catch whites up there 12 months of the year.

• Root Admin

My buddy said he was up there on Sunday. Spring was pretty stained so he went up Neosho which he hardly ever does. Did fair. Water still real cold but like BW says- they're always up there- just have to know where and get on them.

Stained water warms faster so it should be going pretty good I'd say.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

• Members

We're going to give Spring River a try this Sunday for white bass and i will let you know. Hopefully with the warmer weather this week we will have some luck. Last Friday there was about 16-20 boats at the Twin Bridges dock with decent traffic going up and down the Spring throughout the day. Saturday was too wet and cold and I only saw a handful of boats out in the AM, with everyone gone by 2-3PM which is when the rain really picked up.

Is there a limit or size requirement of whites on Spring River? I thought I had read that somewhere in the past, but am having a hard time finding that piece of info now.

• Members

I'm rather new to white bass fishing so I hope you don't mind me asking, but what is your go to lure when white bass fishing up on Spring River? I was planning on starting off using 1/8 oz chartreuse or white head road runners with white grubs. Am I way off, or what else would you recommend throwing in the tackle box?

I'm rather new to white bass fishing so I hope you don't mind me asking, but what is your go to lure when white bass fishing up on Spring River? I was planning on starting off using 1/8 oz chartreuse or white head road runners with white grubs. Am I way off, or what else would you recommend throwing in the tackle box?

You will see people catch them on just about anything. There will be people trolling crankbaits, people casting rooster tails, people throwing various jigs and grubs. I like the white and chatreuse colored plastics, so I like what you are bringing. Sometimes a plain head works better for me than a roadrunner head. I think the most important thing is vary your retrieve until you get bit. Most of the time in the spring what works best for me is a slow roll and twitch trying to maintain contact with the bottom from time to time. Most of the time I see people fishing too fast with jigs and plastics. Keep your rod tip low to the water and try to tick the rocks every so often. If you feel a tap, set the hook. They can be extremely light biters during the spring run for some reason. Some days they will be up shallow in 4-6, somedays they will be in the channel 20' deep. Somedays they are both. I can easily see them on the graph when there's a bunch of them moving up the river, but don't worry too much about it. I haven't even been up there this year but I guarantee you there are some in there right now.

Anybody ever have consistent success with hybrids on Sping river? Do they run with the whites, after?

Lol, now you are asking just a few too many questions. Yeah, they are there. You have to be pretty dialed in to be consistent on them though. There's just not that many in Grand. I have a couple of spots that when the River gauge in Quapaw hits a certain level and the water temp is a certain temp and it's a certain time of year, I know I can go catch them, but I've spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours up there fishing for them and I can tell you it's not something that you are going to do randomly and be consitent. You'll hear of and see occasional fish caught by trollers, white bassers, crappie fishers, even guys catfishing, but to actually target with success is completely different ballgame. It's a "needle in a haystack" type of endeavor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We fished the Spring for whites this past Sunday mainly between the Highway 10 bridge and the boat houses to the south. Really didn’t fair all that well and the groups we talked with seemed to be having only mediocre success. maybe it was the cooler weather that pushed through that night. We fished early in the AM through about 3PM mainly with 1/8 oz road runner jigs and chartreuse minnows as well as different colored grubs, and also through some spoons. Some guys back at the ramp said that they had success the day before throwing large maroon sluggos. Seeing is believing though…