3/11 Report

Escaped for a few hours today to one of my haunts on the Piney. I wouldn't say the fishing was exactly on fire, but it was pretty darn good and a great day to be out. Caught most of my fish on crawdad/creature bait and rapala suspending jerk bait. Most of the fish came out of pretty calm water, but the big one on my paddle came out of pretty swift water. The goggle eye were out to play also, I caught a pretty good mess of them, a few being of decent size even. Definately a great day to be out on the water, wish I could have stayed I have a feeling it was going to get pretty good as it warmed up even more.

He is on my kayak paddle as a reference...I probably need to start carrying a measuring device!

post-12253-0-82647900-1394570153.jpg

post-12253-0-47369800-1394570278.jpg

post-12253-0-16251300-1394570313.jpg

post-12253-0-66994800-1394570341.jpg

I figured it would be easier to post a pic than try to figure out which colors I was using..

post-12253-0-42456200-1394570370.jpg

Good report! Do you rig your beaver baits on a jighead or trig them? I've tried both, but not sure which I prefer. Right now, I think I like the shakey head for rock and trig for pitching around wood. I want to get some swivel jigs like the biffle hardhead and try swimming them fast along the bottom this summer when it warms up. Haven't seen anybody doing much of that yet.

Thanks guys. Seth I had them texas rigged with a 3/8 bullet pegged at the hook. I will try rigging them wacky next time. Is the shakey head similar? I have a hell of a time keeping them up the top of the hook so maybe a wacky head and spinning tackle for gentler casting would be better? The fun part was the jerk bait on the medium light rod and 4lb line though... I know I was messing with fire but it was fun!