A Little Insect Id Help Needed

• Members

I am trying to get to know Crane Creek a little better, and have been doing my best to slow things down a bit and pay better attention to more than just the fish. These are a few of the insects I saw hanging around the creek, could anyone help me identify them? Also what flies would you use to imitate them? Thanks.

post-15937-0-23002000-1396268303.jpg

post-15937-0-06356200-1396268521.jpg

The fishing is always good, when you're fishing.

Pretty sure that top one is a stone fly. Can't tell what those are in the water though.

stonefly_debbie.jpg

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

Not sure that first one is a stone fly, once they hit adult stage they pretty stay out of the water.

The bottom picture is a bunch of scuds doing scud things.

"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

I think the first is a black caddis or grannom, which would be about right for this time of year. Black elk hair caddis would be a pattern to tye for the adult. Kinda hard to tell from the pic.

http://www.flyfishingwis.com/html/black_caddis.html

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/entomology/caddis/grannom.shtml

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

— Hunter S. Thompson

You need to take a better picture of the first insect. it could be a number of things, but it is definitely not a stone fly.

There are two types of people. Those who dream dreams and wish, then there are the do'ers. I am a do'er!