New To Springfield And Have A Few Questions

• Members

Hello all and thanks for any help you guys can give me. My better half and I recently moved to Springfield from Lake of the Ozarks. We have just started exploring the fishing locations that Springfield has to offer, so far we have been to Valley Water Mill Lake and Fellows. At Valley Water Mill, we caught just about as many blue gill as you could possibly want. I mean really, if you can set the hook on these things you can get a bite nearly every single cast. Unfortunately, that's not what I'm into and I couldn't get anything else to bite, even though I did see some bass. This weekend we tried fellows. I stumbled upon a topography map that also showed the locations where they placed structure underwater, and also several different roads leading to the lake. There seemed to be about five different roads that lead to the lake based on the map. But all but two were blocked off by a closed gate. I didn't see any restricted area signs or do not trespass, just a gate that said only authorized vehicles past this point. Does this mean you can walk beyond this point you just can't drive your vehicle? If it's restricted why are these roads listed on the map as an access to the lake? Does anyone know why these are restricted? I have been reading other posts on this forum about Fellows being incredibly strict and not the most generous and understanding folk so I just want to clear things up before I go tromping through the woods lol. Also I'm looking to catch some cat from the bank, any suggestions or advice? It doesn't necessarily have to be at fellows, just any area around springfield. I have been thinking about trying lake springfield and also I have heard good things about stockton and table rock lake but the people I have been talking to were fishing from the boat. Do these areas also have room for bank fishers? Thanks guys! Oh and also the map I was talking about it on this page http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/resources/2010/05/2011_fellows__brochure.pdf

Fellows is unique lets say. bar none if you are fishing from the bank Stockton is worth the extra drive. the cats will be starting up there soonn and you can catch quite a few from the bank. check out the Stockton forum posts and you'll find some really informative and nice people. as for where to go, i go to one place when fishing off the bank for cats and crappie almost every time. The directions are kinda hard to write out but pm me an email adress or phone number and i can help you out on where to go. hope this helps. ps were the blue gill caught on worms?? and were they hand size or just small ones?

• Members

Thanks a lot for the advice. Me and the misses plan to go out to Stockton in a couple of weeks. I'll pm you an email address! We went out to Valley water mill again today. And once again today she caught a ton of bluegill as well as some really, really, small crappie. Yes, off of worms and most of them were pretty small but a couple stood out. She also caught a pretty nice sized bass.

Most of the north side of Fellows is open to bank fishing and there is also a road. If you take farm road 66 to the main entrance, where the ramp is, you can drive west from there and access the lake almost to the dam.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.