Mystery Reel

Old plug

I have a small Garcia reel I have had for several years. last summer It suddenly developed a wobble in the crank. I opened the plate and found that the tiny retaining washer that is located over the nut at the end of that gear assembly I guess you might call it had for some reason just snapped. I never had that happen before. So I improvises a retained washer by wrapping size E nylon thread around the slot a few times. and tying it off. well it has worked fine but I still want the washer. The reel is a Garcia it has a raised picture on one side of a guy catching a bass. The reel is silver and the raised picture is gold. anybody know the model.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm by no means an expert, but I looked at some of my old Abu Garcia baitcasters. Mine were from the early 70's, and they were putting a crest on the side. So I assume yours is an older model.

I'll do a bit of checking and see if I can figure it out.

@lozcrappie

I'm by no means an expert, but I looked at some of my old Abu Garcia baitcasters. Mine were from the early 70's, and they were putting a crest on the side. So I assume yours is an older model.

I'll do a bit of checking and see if I can figure it out.

Seems like there was a special edition or something like that from the late 80's. early 90's. I remember seeing some with that crest on the side that were new back then but have no idea what they were.

Seems like there was a special edition or something like that from the late 80's. early 90's. I remember seeing some with that crest on the side that were new back then but have no idea what they were.

I was thinking the same thing.

WARFRAT----- I have on doubt it is a Garcia. And yes it is pretty old. I just forgot the model number is really what its all about. forgetting things is what I do best anymore. That little reel is very smooth and as fast as lightening. It is just about to fast for me anymore I had to put the break pad back into the centrifugal break and start using them. I am bot sure I am going to worry much about the lock washer. The thread I tied around the slots where the washer was are acting like a jam nut so thats just fine with me. I was out with it this morning burning up the water with a Old wood Zara Spook older than the reel by far. Only caught one small one. Did not do much last evening either on a worm. The reason I was out there this morning with the Zara is because Wrench had a rare evening last evening with the Zara just a few miles away. I kind of get stuck in my ways sometimes.