Roy Lake South Dakota

Had to figure out here to load photos first. Just got back from my 2nd trip to Roy Lake in SD. Went last year same time. Both trips were great. You don't hear much about this area but one look at Google maps will show you that there are almost unlimited options in lakes to fish within about a half hour of Roy Lake. Not much fishing pressure and 98% of it is on walleyes. hat leaves the bass virtually untouched. This year they were nearing the spawn,some nesting. Roy is clear with enough timber in the water that you knew where to place your cast and you could see all the hits. Used mainly flukes, lizards alittle and crank baits. Caught all the fish above with those techniques except for the carp. My brother is an avid bowfisherman and he had no shortage of targets. I would guess I would catch 30-40 bass a day with 2-3# being average maybe 5 in the 4-5# range didn't gett anything over that. Spent one morning with a guide fishing walleye. I easily boated 70 14" walleye on jig and minnow. Nothing big though. Our last day went went to Lake Waubay. The wind was howling 30mph so we were limited where we could go. Caught some small smallmoth but the white bass were literally a nuisance . 9-12" . Caught about 50 then started carp shooting.

The answer may not lie at the bottom of a glass, but you should always check

I read your BW post. The bass are that size but it is an easy drive and you can camp in a campground which we did or there are some cabins for rent. Thinking of doing that next year

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome report! I'm heading up next week. What structure where you fishing? Just the NW bays or main lake rock piles? I was up last June caught many quality fish. If you can hit Clear lake as well next year, many quality fish there as well.

missed your post till now. Caught bass in bays around timber on Roy. Went to Clear Lake one morning. Had heard great things about it. It seemed so featureless as compared to the other lakes didn't know where to look. there are reefs but didn't think spawning fish would be there. We left after only about an hour there. How was your trip?