Barren Fork Creek - June 14, 2014

I went out Saturday June 14 to try out fishing Barren Fork Creek in Shannon County. I began fishing on Sunklands CA just above the confluence of Barren Fork and Sinking Creeks. The creek was flowing well and clear. I was fishing spin tackle with 2 lb P-Line fluoroclear line. I caught several long-eared sunfish on 1/132 oz white microjigs. I also caught several dace and chubs on cinnamon and black/olive 1/64 oz jigs. I only saw one trout that I spooked before getting to the border of the public property. I fished the deep bluff hole back above the confluence and caught a nice smallmouth on the black/olive jig. Looking over the MDC map for Barren Fork creek, I felt that it was likely that more fishermen would fish just below Twin Springs off Route A. So I opted to take the half mile hike from a pull off on Route CC and down to the creek just below Roaring spring. I fished a couple of undercut holes with the microjigs and an olive mohair leech without success. I found a deeper run with approximately two and a half feet of water depth between a cedar tree and another downed log. I slid down the bank and sat for a couple of minutes and then eased into the water between that run and a hard turn in the creek downstream. I waited at least eight to ten minutes to let the fish acclimate to my presence before making a cast. I had switched to a #16 grey Gold ribbed Hare’s Ear nymph fished about 18 to 20 inches below a small yellow float and a tiny split shot just 4 inches above the nymph. I fished initially downstream below the run and had a rainbow hitting my float. As the fish circled around the float, I moved the float slightly upstream. That slight movement caused the nymph to come off of the bottom and the trout hit it. Unfortunately, I had my drag set too tight and the trout broke off as it ran towards the bluff rock at the bend of the creek. I retied on another fly and cast into the run upstream from my position. After the first drift, two trout came towards me from above the run. I was able to cast just above them without spooking the fish and one turned and bit the fly. The fish fought both upstream and downstream trying to get into the brush to knock out the fly. I was able to land this 15 inch wild rainbow. I didn’t think that I would be able to top that fight, so took the long hike back up the ridge to the car. I had a great day.

post-17508-0-47467600-1404598870.jpg

post-17508-0-88282400-1404598886.jpg

post-17508-0-27368400-1404598906.jpg

It took almost ten minutes to land that fish. It kept dogging for the brush. I have had some of the best fighting fish on the wild trout streams lately.

If you look at the MDC map of the trout area for Barren Fork creek, I parked on CC at the bend just above the Rt CC identification on that map. There was old logging activity that left some trail like openings going about 3/4 of the way down to the creek. I really can't call it a trail, but enough openings to be able to piece a route along deer trails and the logging areas to find your way out. I did hit a dry creek that went into Barren fork and used that as a guide on where to go back into the woods. Good luck if you get out that way.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the landmarks which were spot on ! I would not have found the midsection otherwise. Hiked down one creekbed and up another; both drainages leading back up to CC. Note to those of us on the older side of 50 - this is not a trivial climb through the woods and should not be recommended without GPS and/or a buddy.

Caught a few wild & scenic fry, but nothing approaching your monster. Beautiful stream in an out-of-the-way location that should keep it well-loved by those who care.

post-595-0-73695200-1407432328.jpg

post-595-0-38290600-1407432275.jpg

post-595-0-67039300-1407432367.jpg

Being 48 and well out of shape I concur about taking along a buddy. I love the parr marks on your trout. If you end up going back down to that section of stream, the hole that I was fishing was 100 to 175 yards downstream of the undercut tree you have pictured. There was an "S" curve in the stream and I was fishing in the middle of the "S". As I mentioned I waited several minutes before making a cast after I got into the water and I hooked into fish both downstream and upstream of my position.

That little one counts as a trophy in my book. A wild trout, stream bread, in the stream where they are very spooky, a rare thing in Missouri.

I got a video by Landon Mayer about chasing trophy trout, and expected it to all about monsters, but he started out by saying a trophy trout is what we make it. Whether it's a monster that we've been stalking, a 4" wild or native trout, or finally catching ONE fish after a long day of struggling.

I've only fished Crane and BS Creek for the wild experience but want to try this one.

I agree with the ideas you presented about trophy fish. Since last fall I have been trying to catch a trout in each recognized Missouri trout stream and I have already crossed off Blue Springs, Mill Creek, Spring Creek, Little Piney, and now Barren Fork for wild stream bred trout. I started trout fishing in Missouri on the Current river before it became a blue ribbon stream and when it was stocked a lot more than it is today. I got to a point that if I didn't catch a dozen brown trout with one over 15", it was a bad day. After fishing these wild trout streams, I definitely have changed my perspective on the idea of a trophy trout and a quality day on the water. I'm happy if I don't lose more than $15 in tackle and I'm able to come in contact with at least one trout and even more so if I land it. These streams are special places. I don't know how many I will get back to fish again, but all will be remembered.