Bass Report 7/5/14

Bitethis

Went fishing up lake from CC, fished from 2-10p. Was overcast until about 6pm, steady wind out of the south all day, between 7-10 mph. After 6pm, still had wind, but sun came out.

Baits used: Blk/Blu 1/2oz jig, PB&J 3/8oz jig with prpl trailer, 1/2oz Watermelon candy Jig with prpl trailer, spinnerbait, biffle bug on 1/2oz hard head, 1/2oz lipless crank in chrome/blue, #5 flicker shad, 7" G-Tail worm in grn pumpkin, 7" ribbon tail worm in Junebug.

Started off in 20 FOW, hooked up on 3rd cast with PBJ jig. Caught 5 more, and lost an equal amount in the next 2 hours. 4 of the 5 landed were over 15". I have been known to tell a fishing story once or twice, but I in effort to be as percise as possible I will "estimate" the size of fish my partner lost. On PBJ jig, upon hook up we both assumed it was a catfish as his pole was bent over bringing the tip to the surface of the water, went under boat, stayed down for a good 90 seconds. Fish started to give a little and come to surface as I got the net ready. Fish came up 12" out of water, and we only saw just below the gill plate. Looked like you could have put a mini-basketball in the fishes mouth, and as he jumped up he gave us the stink eye, swallowed the jig a bit more, and spit it at the boat with attitude. We both just looked at the water for the next 20 seconds, silent...as if the world had just come to an end. It would have been on his wall...I "estimate" it being an 8lb LM. But I cant prove it, no pics, and no unbias witnesses...what do you do? Caught 1 bass that spit crawdads in the boat upon landing. In 20-30 FOW, saw numerous fish on the sonar, so when bass bite slowed a bit, we trolled flickershads, nothing. Last 3 hours of the trip the bite was slow, pulled a bass in on junebug worm, g tail worm, and 3 on bifflebug. 1 bass on nighttime spinnerbait, none on willow leaf spinnerbait. We didn't catch numbers, but quality was there today. All in all, my partner kicked my but pretty hard, and PBJ jig was the ticket.

darn Bitethis!! You need to write a book with those details! Glad you had a good time with your buddy. I really believe the key to your story was overcast skies. And maybe some wind. When i go down to Stockton if its sunny with little or no wind I just dont do much good in that clear water. But I am usually chasing some "eyes" around. I plan on going down sometime this week. I'm retired so I'm keeping an eye on the weather for some clouds. And good moon phase coming if you believe in that. I will close with this. I had one of my best friends pass away saturday morning. That cancer monster finally got him. He fished with us down at Stockton several times. Went to Canada with us. My point: get out fishing with your friends as much as possible. Enjoy the great outdoors. Enjoy each others company. Thanks for the info Bitethis. I am doing more bass fishing lately and I love the smallies down at Stockton. I want to try that Biffle Bug. I looked it up online.