Crappie On 07/27

Kyle R

• Members

With the positive recent posts, I thought I'd try my hand at crappie this morning. I was fishing out of a 12' john boat with no fish finder and a trolling motor as the only means of locomotion, so it was tough. The wind and wakes kept me on my toes. I was fishing in between where the white and war eagle arms come into the lake. I tried a channel bend first with no luck, then a few coves in the area with only a few small bass and bluegills. At about noon I tried a bluff line and fished over a brush pile in maybe 20-25 feet of water (again, no electronics). They bit really well on minnows under slip bobbers set 15-20 feet down. I even managed several on a Bobby Garland jig. The tough part was keeping the fish from sticking me in the brush, but that's what I get for using 4 lb line. In 3 hours I ended up with 13 keeper crappie (all between 10 and 12 inches), 10-15 short crappie, 2 short largemouth, 1 Kentucky, 1 channel cat, and a 12" walleye. All in all not bad, especially for me. I was surprised they bit so late in the day. I would have limited out, but I ran out of minnows and jig heads.

post-9374-0-84569600-1406515908.jpg

post-9374-0-17065600-1406515941.jpg

Big ole hats off and round of applause to you for getting out in a 12ft Jon at that location and on top of that, you had a terrific haul. And in this heat!!!!

Kudos and much respect sir. .. .very well done. Wish there were more posts like this one. And I don't think I could have had that luck in a small boat. I've fished from a 12ft Jon before.

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

• Members

Nice work. You have some serious perseverance.

My advice: don't tell a soul the exact location where you found them. You should be able to go back there again and again and load the boat with slabs. I'm a bass junkie, but there sure is something addictive about catching good messes of crappie in the heat of the summer.

• Members

Thanks for the props. My options are a kayak or that john boat. I prefer the kayak, but it won't hold 4 crappie rods and a minnow bucket. And there is something nice about the simplicity. I just need to stick to weekdays, with all the skiers and such.

Great job on finding the fish !!! BUT, Beaver Lake + the week end + summer + 12 foot jon boat = "E" ticket at Disney Land .............

"Look up OPTIMIST in the dictionary - there is a picture of a fishing boat being launched"

Thanks for the props. My options are a kayak or that john boat. I prefer the kayak, but it won't hold 4 crappie rods and a minnow bucket. And there is something nice about the simplicity. I just need to stick to weekdays, with all the skiers and such.

Excellent haul Kyle. Send me a PM if you want some tips on how to maximize your rod carrying capacity in your kayak. Depending on the type and size of kayak you have, there may be a few mods that will make this possible. I spider rig with 3-9 foot rods out of mine.