Slow Day

stuartsx5

Went to Truman today for the first time in probably 15 years. I don't usually fish this time of year anymore so I reverted to what I know. Took minnows and drowned them in the trees around Shawnee Bend toward 7 Bridge and back in the Little Tebow. Didn't even catch a perch. Everyone I talked to had the same report so I really didn't feel to bad about my luck. The bad is when I returned to Shawnee to load the boat my adaptor for my trailer lights was gone. It was there when I launched because my lights were on. There is a very, very slight chance that it fell off but I don't think it did. I hate to accuse but I think someone else is enjoying my adaptor. My fault for leaving it on the trailer. Anyway, down towards the 7 Bridge and in some other places I seen boats setting out in the middle of what seemed like nowhere fishing. What are these anglers seeing out there that makes them fish the area? Is it flats, structure, road beds, fence rows etc. and what are they fishing for? I would really like to expand my fishing experience into these hotter months but I really don't know what to look for or how to fish these areas. At least it wasn't 100 degrees.

Earl Stuart

fishin is livin

. Anyway, down towards the 7 Bridge and in some other places I seen boats setting out in the middle of what seemed like nowhere fishing. What are these anglers seeing out there that makes them fish the area? Is it flats, structure, road beds, fence rows etc. and what are they fishing for?

There are some beautiful open water humps out there. Hybrids and Blue cats love those humps

Thanks for the info. That is something I would like to learn. I fish mainly LOZ and catch some hybrids in the fall and winter up there. Thinking about targeting cats in the summer to fill my time between spring and fall. It is something I have always wanted to do but never had the patience for but as I get older I get a little more patient.

Earl Stuart

fishin is livin

I suppose that you were first fishing for crappie? The mid part of the Grand arm has been producing pretty well both on jigs and minnows. I've been fishing the bigger main lake flats with lots of timber and fishing the back, shallow part of the flats getting up into water that is 4 to 5 feet deep going tree to tree you seldom catch more than a couple of crappie of a tree mostly one here and there but keep moving and you can end up with a nice limit. I usually fish out to 15 to 20 ft and even then the crappie have not been over 8 ft deep.

Get a good lake map and look up G10, G4 on the Grand arm, the cemetery of the Little Tebo, and O3, the Airport, and KK Island on the Osage arm all good spots for Hybrids and White Bass from now until late Fall.

Good Luck!

RB

Thanks Shaker. I think we were actually fishing too deep. Most of the water we were in was 25-30. I could mark fish but couldn't get any to bite. I have one of the books with all the MO lakes in it. Are there better maps out there?

Earl Stuart

fishin is livin

I use the Hot Spots maps and also have some older lake structure maps. If your book of lake maps show these spots good enough I would think!

RB