Line Question For The Rock

Travis Swift

Going to fsh the rock for the first time the second week in Septemeber. Going to be in the kimberling city area. I plan to throw the ned rig, shakey head and drop shot quite a bit. I use 6 pound test CXX in moss green 99% of the time here in kansas. Will that work down there or is Flurocarbon going to be a must? Also with 12 pound test CXX work for finesse jigs or again do i need Flurocarbon?

thanks in advance,

Travis

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend flourocarbon for anything that doesn't float. Feel is better, hooksets are better, and there's the arguable benefit to how invisible it is in the water. I personally believe it helps. Even without the benefit of it disappearing under water the other advantages make it worth it.

One thing I'll add is that I plan on experimenting with small diameter braid and a flouro leader. Yea I know I'm behind the times on that but it's hard for me to change from what works.

Travis, I think you'll be fine with the 6-pound P-Line although I'll make one disclaimer ... I love P-Line but their diameter tends to be a bit larger (and stronger) than other monos in the same pound test. You might go down to 4-pound test, get more bites and be just fine on line strength.

Another option is to try 6-pound BPS Excel in the green color. I have used this line on my spinning rods for quite a few years now and it is the best I have ever found for limpness, toughness and whatever else you're looking for in a spinning gear line. I don't pinch pennies with my tackle and would pay more for this same line, but it's nice that it's very reasonably priced. Just means you can change it often without cringing at the price.

As for jigs, I would recommend 12-pound fluorocarbon. As clear as the water tends to be lakewide in the fall, I'd be afraid of line visibility issues with 12-pound mono. Also, you'll have a lot more sensitivity with a good fluorocarbon. If you don't already have a favorite, Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon in the green tint is the best I've found. A bit pricey but worth it, IMO.

ClassActionTransparent.png

Thanks for the info guys! I have a big surplus of 6 pound Pline CXX and i have a ton of confidence in the stuff so before i went out and spent money on 6 pound flurocarbon for 3 days worth of fishing i wanted to see if i what i had would work for their. Good tip on the 12 pound test, i will be sure to pick some up! Thank you guys for the info. Much appreciated.

Maxima is great line. Mr. Babler swears by it and at his recommendation, I tried it and now use it religiously in the winter for jerk baits on baitcasting tackle (8-pound test). Tough stuff.

In my opinion, it also runs a tad big on diameter and strength, i.e. you could throw a shaky head, drop shot or Ned on 4-pound Maxi and get the same performance as with 6-pound line in other brands.

ClassActionTransparent.png

CXX is good stuff as far as mono is concerned. Some of the toughest dang mono I've ever had. It has less stretch than other mono's but it still has more stretch than fluorocarbon. Like Champ said don't skimp on line because that is where the rubber meets the road. I won't use anything but fluoro on bottom contact baits. Only exception is CXX in clear blue fluorescent for night fishing under a black light. Why nobody has come out with a fluorescent fluorocarbon for night fisherman is beyond me. Stren has some but I have heard that it is complete junk so I haven't even bothered.

I cannot add anything useful to advice already given. Isn't this an incredible forum?

• Members

I would recommend that you use 6# Fluro on your light line/spinning rod, and 10# Fluro on your slow presentation baitcaster. I always have a baitcaster with 15# mono for top water or a reaction bait. I use Berkley Vanish Transition line and have never had a problem with it, however, if the line gets stretched I always retie.