The Big M 10/06/2014

Quillback

Launched at dawn, headed down the river channel, got to the point 23 area and there were fish busting shad all over the place, literally from one bank to the other. White bass as it turned out with a few spots mixed in. Threw a top water prop bait at them, and they were killing it. White bass were pretty decent sized, 1 - 3 lbs. That bite lasted about an hour or so, once the sun came over the hill it drove them down.

Black bass fishing was tough, could not get any on the jig, threw cranks and spinner baits and only caught one on that stuff. Found some drop shot fish in a cove mouth in 20-35 FOW and caught maybe 15 of those, but not one keeper in the bunch. Put her on the trailer at 1 PM.

Water temp was a bit cooler this week - 72-73.

post-720-0-05126400-1412626877.jpg

post-720-0-98709600-1412626895.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fatties.

I had the opposite yesterday. No interest in drop shot and luck with cranks and spinnerbaits.

If I had any sense, I would have downsized and thrown rooster tails.

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

QB did you sling the spybait any? I have a theory that White bass will lose their minds obpver it.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

Ham I did not throw the Spy bait, did not have one with me, but I agree you think the whites would eat it.

It's a LC Waketail 85. I haven't been too impressed with it so far, the whites ate it, but the black bass are so-so with it.

The only LC prop bait I like is the KJ Prop Bait. I prefer the full size. The KJ Jr's I have are semi bouyant and will slowly sink at times.You might find situations where that is an advantage, but it has only been annoying for me.

NIce fish QB. I'm jealous of those big Whites.

The old Gilmore Jumper was one of the finest prop baits ever. Caught many a bass on them on the Arkansas River back in my younger days. Good lord, I'm sounding like an old goat more every day.

ClassActionTransparent.png

Ranger Champ, I'm a full sized Devil's Horse guy so I'm likely as old school as you are.