10-14-14 Table Rock Lake Fishing 40 Mph Gusts

Bill Babler

Kind of a wacky day except for the fishing. Picked up at Fall Creek and just could not get the boat on at either State Park or Moonshine. 5ft. waves coming in on both ramps. Had spoken to some of the guys and they were all texting and calling having a very hard time even getting on the water.

You could find a ramp, but not within range of fish. Finely decided on making the drive to Baxter and my guys were all in agreement as one of them was a past Texas Guide and did not like the rough stuff after battling it all those years.

Water was not calm at the ramp by any means, but we did get her in the drink. Again I'm going to need a pat on the back from Champ, but I started out on a blade, on an overcast morning with the water churning. My guess at still 70 degree is that I could not have picked a better bait. WRONG....

Threw it for 45 minutes on what my guys said looked like some of the best blade water they had ever seen and we boated one 12 in Jaw. Went back into some softer stuff, but still the water was hoping a little. Caught two on a 7/16th. GP Chompers Wobblehead, with a GP Yamamoto Fat Baby Craw, up pretty tight I'd say under 10' and that was soon over.

Got to thinking that I was headed for the junk yard again, and just could not get out on the main lake as it was brutal. We did not see a boat on a ramp or on the lake today. We had it to ourselves, fishing the Big and Little Indian Creek

Called Beck, he had got in at Schooner and caught some early cranking, but that had stopped. He said he was going to try and drop shot on the calmer inside of some interior points and I told him he could have all that he wanted.

I told my guys this may not work, but it really should this time of the year. Buster and Tim had won a derby this weekend dragging a 3/4 oz FB in 25' to 35' I mean dragging, I don't mean working the jig, I mean dragging it behind the boat.

Fished 3 locations with this method. Long Gravel Roll-offs fishing right on the break. There are stumps on these creek chanel breaks and down timber clutter. Not much mind you, but enough. We caught 30 dragging with 10 keeps and had a very nice LM jump off and sling the jig back at us a quick guess on him was 4 pound range without a scale he could have just as easily been a 3 pounder. Probably 13 to 13.5 pounds for our best 5.

Used at least 6 different jigs and at least that many trailers and it did not mater the color as long as you kept it on the bottom. Probably the best was a Chompers spider live round rubber GP skirt on a Pigsticker 3/4 oz. GP,FB jig head with a Yamamoto PBJ 4" twin tail. "What a combo." I love the guys at Chompers, but I just hate that EWG hook they put in their jigs. It is way to hard on the fish. I like to support the retirement fund of all the tackle makers also.

Used 2 packs of trailers and we hung up in the wind about a dozen jigs lost. 12 pound Invisx. When your dragging them into the rough stuff that is just going to happen I don't care who you are.

Got a nice compliment and a great gratuity from the retired guide. Said my equipment and knowledge were above and beyond. Told him I got lucky today on two of my buddy's patterns. Said that the preparation and the quality of the equipment were pretty unreasonable for a guide to let clients use. I should not furnish equipment like that to old Fa-ts like them. Nice to hear from a colleague.

Told them they would not have like me so good without that Football jig. And by the way, I did get fortunate. If it had not been windy I would not have fished a single location that I fished today. As always it is better to be lucky than good.

Good Luck

PS, When we got back to the ramp, there were 3 footers coming in on it. I just touched my bunks to the water and literally jumped the Big Phoenix up on it. Again, I was really feeling it today.

I think you own Table Rock. As the crazy Irishman from Braveheart said "It's my island". Except in this case.....it's a lake. Lol

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

I think you own Table Rock. As the crazy Irishman from Braveheart said "It's my island". Except in this case.....it's a lake. Lol

I don't own it, but I love it with all my heart. To even sit on my deck and look at it makes my breath comes in short gasps and tears well in my eyes. I respect ever thing that swims in it and it will be my great fortune to be scattered in her on my demise.

Good Luck and God Bless you all

Love the Braveheart reference J-Doc. Bill, did I read that right?13 pounds? I would embarrass myself and need a trip to the ramp for dry pants if a fish like that jumped on me. My largest on TR is 8.5 and my lifetime was a 9+ off a farm pond. I cannot imagine a 13.

No you misread it. The reason being that I did not get it on paper correctly. Our best 5 weighed 13.5. Saw that as soon as I posted it but was to lazy to go back and correct it. I will now. Tks RP I knew it was a blunder. It's fixed now.

To catch that many on a jig answers why you did not catch them on the blade. It was just a looking-down day. I like those days coz they are the ones when Donna kicks my butt on her jig and I get to run the troller and feel smart for a little while.

:secret-laugh:

post-4532-0-60707900-1413331758_thumb.jp

ClassActionTransparent.png