My Crack At Sd Pizza

Chief Grey Bear

post-3261-0-53433700-1413840125_thumb.jp

This is my pizza from the SD starter Ness sent me.

I flattened out and put in a CI skillet and baked in the oven.

I thought it was really super good.

I'm not sure, to me any way, it is worth all the effort that goes into this.

Don't get me wrong, I love cooking, but this SD stuff is a workout! LOL!!

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

Sometimes the key is process, not product.

That is your lesson for today, grasshopper.

You are exactly right sir.

There are some things that I prepare that I take a ton of steps to complete. And like you are saying it is because I think it makes a better product.

I just can't get wrapped around this one. Yet! And it may be because I don't fully understand it. If that makes any sense. And second, we don't eat much bread. A loaf here can easily last two weeks. If it doesn't mold. Which usually happens.

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

You are exactly right sir.

There are some things that I prepare that I take a ton of steps to complete. And like you are saying it is because I think it makes a better product.

I just can't get wrapped around this one. Yet! And it may be because I don't fully understand it. If that makes any sense. And second, we don't eat much bread. A loaf here can easily last two weeks. If it doesn't mold. Which usually happens.

I think baking in general is kinda procedure dependent. Can't just throw together the ingredients and expect it to come out right. I think sourdough is even more dependent on procedure.

I think there are two tricks to sourdough:

1. The culture has to be really active to do it's work; you're wasting your time if you use a flat starter thinking it'll perk up once you get it incorporated into your dough.

2. It takes a long time to rise, and you've got to plan ahead for that. I've had good luck putting the dough together the night before and letting it rise overnight. Then ball it up, make loaves, whatever, and give it a few more hours to rise before baking.

I don't think it's overly time consuming once you kinda get the hang of it. The steps are kinda chunked up too. I did another loaf Saturday night/Sunday that came out really good.

John

I'm feeding mine twice a day right now, because I'm planning on using it this weekend. I'll probably stick it in the fridge after this weekend and put it to sleep.

John

Do you think it's really worth it? My problem was I didn't get that much "tang" out of it, especially compered to a dough that had been in the fridge a couple of days or more.

My usual bread is a simple recipe and I try to keep a dough in the fridge to "mature". I bake my bread in a 2 qt cast Iron dutch oven and I get a better oven spring with fresh dough, but I think the aged dough has a better flavor.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Do you think it's really worth it? My problem was I didn't get that much "tang" out of it, especially compered to a dough that had been in the fridge a couple of days or more.

My usual bread is a simple recipe and I try to keep a dough in the fridge to "mature". I bake my bread in a 2 qt cast Iron dutch oven and I get a better oven spring with fresh dough, but I think the aged dough has a better flavor.

It's about the flavor for me. Not just the sour, but the rest too. Just really good flavor. This last loaf is more sour than the first ones, and the culture is smelling more sour too. It's not that much more work.

John