Thomas Hill/other Warm Discharge Lakes

Haris122

In case this winter turns out to be as rough as last year, I'm trying to think of potential fishing trips aside from the usual trout fishing, and ice fishing (provided the ice gets thick enough). I'm wondering if someone can give me some information on fishing at Thomas Hill Reservoir. Like what kind of fish you have luck with, how busy the lake gets/if it's fishable from a kayak, how good the fishing is, etc. Also am wondering if someone knows of any other warm water discharge lakes within an hour or two of St. Louis (Illinois lakes work too). Thomas Hill is kind of on the far end of how far I'd want to have to go, but if the winter is rough, I would try it once or twice at least.

It has been ages since I fished TH but it used to be awesome for winter crappie and whites/hybrids. It gets pretty crowded at times since the Wintertime sweet-spot is kinda small.

If I still lived closer I would hit it for sure, but I consider it too far to drive now. There's about a 20% chance that you'd hit it right and the drive would be worth it.

Yeah, Baldwin would be a good spot if you want to get out and fish from the banks. Variety of species.

If you have a boat, Coffeen would be the place to go. They have a hp restriction. Used to be 25hp, I don't think it has changed. If you take your kayak, i don't remember the warm water discharge being too far from the ramp. Used to be pretty good crappie fishing in the winter.

@lozcrappie

I'm pretty sure you can put a Kayak on Coffeen. The few times I've ever been there, I don't recall seeing any. But I don't see why not! Baldwin, can get pretty rough, not sure if I'd put one in, unless they were calling for 0 wind. People can say what they want, but years ago, I have caught some quality fish. I'm now hearing reports of SM bass, but just hearing, not seeing.

@lozcrappie

One thing at Baldwin...check the weather and specifically the wind. If it is windy I would forget about it...as it becomes almost impossible to fish and is downright dangerous. These are boat or kayak tipping waves. If it is calm out go for it...variety of species....great access. Two years ago my buddy and I caught boatloads of channel cats on a fly rod and a gut fly.

It has been ages since I fished TH but it used to be awesome for winter crappie and whites/hybrids. It gets pretty crowded at times since the Wintertime sweet-spot is kinda small.

If I still lived closer I would hit it for sure, but I consider it too far to drive now. There's about a 20% chance that you'd hit it right and the drive would be worth it.

Exactly. I grew up ~5mi from Thomas Hill, remember it being built. When it's good, it's the only game to play. Everything else is ice.

It can get really windy as mentioned. The drainage valley is a straight N/S shot for almost 20 miles.

Funny memory... On the coldest, nastiest days of winter, you could usually find a half dozen rigs braving it, but at the tavern in Bevier were always several more.

I can't dance like I used to.

• Members

Yes! you can take a kayak to Thomas Hill and get into some fish. I have a friend that goes up a couple times in the winter. You could take it up the warm water outlet and fish some of the coves and backwaters. It is a bit crowded in the warm water arm when the fish are really biting but usually it is the early bite and it clears out by 10 or so. Some leave with limits some just leave. Hybrids and catfish usually cooperate if the crappies dont but my luck is they run on the small side. LM Bass can be good too if you are inclined., you usually can find sheltered water in the warm water arm. If you go during the later winter and the main lake is frozen you may run into goose hunters..