A Blind Hog Will Find An Acorn Once And A While

BilletHead

RPS,

If we were doing this deer ourselves there would be a roast or two involved and some cuts for braising. Trying to make it simple for the processer we just told him the good inside loins and to go ahead and cut some thick steaks out of the back strap. Will just sear the back strap and eat half raw, should be ok. If not can pound and chicken fry. The balance told him to grind it up. No fat as we will add fresh when needed for a variety of needs. We really do enjoy doing our own but we (I mostly) were pretty spent last night.

Scott,

Yes I have been taking some flack about shooting the buck from the Mrs. Only chance she has had is the two orphans from the doe I shot. I told her to go ahead and shoot one but she won't. We sat in a blind one morning and they came by and were trying to look in the windows. Pretty funny. I had shot the doe pretty close to the house and for over a week the fawns hung around. We would let the dog Sadie out to do her business and they would just look at each other and do there thing. We have taught the dog deer and turkeys are off limits. Now if there is a cow across the fence or squirrel with in sight she goes nuts. That is my fault though :)

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Nice. That kicker makes the rack more interesting. Good job.

My baby girl called me on Sunday night, she wants to take her first deer this season. It has been a few years since we have hunted together, so I am thrilled. I have to bring her up to speed on a new rifle pronto and will let her have the best of my scouting efforts so far this year at the farm. Looks like mostly thin horns, but I noticed a dominate buck come in over last week and starts some nice scrapes. I repositioned cams to try to get a pic of him. I hope she drops a big one.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks again fellows,

Today was the Mrs. day off. Things to do this morning but she wanted to hunt this evening. I have never seen her so jealous. I mean me getting this buck is getting to her. We hunt as a team, compete with each other, laugh and share stories. We had a good day and after a great lunch/dinner she says pick me a stand. We study the wind and pick one. So I walk her in and get this weird feeling. I mean weird it is like the feeling you get when you put your child on the school bus for the first time. Who knows if she will even see anything? But here I sit worrying about her. When we split and hunt far away she walks out in the pitch black in the morning and same in the evening back home.

Ok enough about that,

Thought I would share some more trail cam photos from behind the house. Left out the smaller spikes and forks. Unless I have a neighbor that wants a deer I may not even firearm hunt? Anyway enjoy the pictures!

post-8405-0-96262700-1414705698.jpg

post-8405-0-83620800-1414705713.jpg

post-8405-0-98623100-1414705727.jpg

post-8405-0-96483800-1414705744.jpg

post-8405-0-26921300-1414705768.jpg

post-8405-0-50554600-1414705785.jpg

post-8405-0-25195000-1414705805.jpg

post-8405-0-32722900-1414705824.jpg

BilletHead

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

Thanks Ralph,

Yes the South side. About half way in the big timber lot. Same place where the last two photos with the barbed wire is. You know the place had a camera there before and have photos of us coming back from a hunt last time you were here. I have got pictures of him in three different places. The live photos of him is just across the fence South of the food plot, At the fence where I got him and straight North of where I got him on the North side of the timber lot. Pat did not see anything last evenings hunt. She sat on the hill top stand where you shot one of your bucks. I doubt she will hunt in the morning at 22 degrees unless she hunts the ground blind? Will try to get her out the rest of the weekend,

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

Yes for sure JD but every deer if you could get a close look that time of the year are infested. Just the cycle of life I suppose but kind of gross looking,

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead