Two Hand Rods

westbranchfly

• Members

@strangecreek it's very possible. I'm terrible at remembering names, but I can usually remember a face. Lately I cain't remember half of the folks I've spoken with about two handers because there have been a bunch of questions in the parking lot. One thing is for sure, that rod is definitely a conversation starter.

What's been amazing to me is the amount of folks that tell me," I've thought about a spey or switch rod." After talking with them, most folks don't realize that you can get two handers as light as a 5wt. I use a 5wt switch rod, but a 13' 5wt. two hand? That's just cool. Especially knowing that you can rig it for nymphing or swinging streamers.

A guy that I know claims the two hand fascination is forthcoming for Taney. I'm sure he is right. I just hope the educational means is in place to help new casters along.

Nathan,

Thanks for the casting demo and class on the water yesterday. Im making the leap and ordering a 12 foot 6 inch Clear Water rod today with a Rio 450 grain skagit versi system line. Its going to be a fun learning experience.

A Little Rain Won't Hurt Them Fish.....They're Already Wet!!

Visit my website at..

Ozark Trout Runners

gallery4a082cb0bdef6.jpg

• Members

Like I said yesterday, two handers are not the end all. But, they are a fantastic tool for the tool box. You had the chance to see water get covered that, due to high water, otherwise couldn't be fished with a single hander.

I was glad to spend the time with you. I'm still learning the intricacies of Skagit casting, but I'm more than willing to pass on what I know. Who knows, maybe someday there will be enough interest and we could hold a spey clave on Taneycomo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just wanted to pass along a little update. Swinging sculpin patterns has proven, at least to me, to be a productive method. I'll grant you that it's not producing the large numbers of fish that are normally afforded to midge and scud fisherman, but it's working on challenging conditions. I've also found that modified steelhead patterns, tied on either shanks with a stinger hook, or tube flies have been effective on high water. I started fishing yesterday morning ( 4 units, 9800 cfs on the river ) with a T-14 sinking tip, and a purple darter Clouser pattern, tied on a tube. Managed to take a few fish on the swing. The fish generally hit about half way through the swing. I'm still learning about swinging, but it's been a fun experience. I'm starting with the 27' head, 10-ish feet of sink tip, plus leader out of the tip top, make the swing. I keep adding 2-3 feet to each swing until I'm out to 70-80 feet. So far, so good.

I had a question for everyone that has been following this thread. Would there be any interest in getting together, say after the first of the year, and having a small spey clave, of sorts? I'll round up a few of the guys that I know have two handers, and you come by and see and try casting a skagit rig? I'm no casting instructor by any means, let me say that. There seems to be some interest, and I thought maybe if you wanted, you could try casting and fishing my rods. It will give you the chance to see and use it, before having to spend the money on an expensive experiment. Maybe you could see the benefits I've been enjoying this fall, and who knows, maybe you'll be inspired to add another tool to the toolbox some day. Be safe out there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have an 11' switch rod I picked up from Bass Pro in Springfield. I wanted to convert to a 2 handed rod because of 2 reason. I wanted to be able to cover more water and there are some great areas on White River that is impossible to fish due to not having room to back cast to get the fly out there on the drift.

Being new to the world of 2 handed rods has been exciting and frustrating at the same time. I've only had my rod for about 3 weeks but I've been busy catching fish on it and have been able to effectively fish water that I would normally have to pass up. I even caught my first brown that measured 20" a couple weeks ago.

My rod is an 8wt. I know. It seems a little beefy. I had a 7wt at first but the rod broke after I caught the brown. They say that the 7wt is the 30-06 of switch rods. I chose to move to the 8wt because I like to lake fish at times so I wanted to be able to handle whatever I encountered. I bought the Lamson Liquid 7-9wt reel and right now I'm using the Beulah Elixir V2 switch Scandi line 500gr. My running line is Rio Gripshooter. I like the versatility of being able to change heads for any fishing situation I encounter. I also have a separate reel that has Rio Switch line on it. I'm able to launch 70' casts with it and mend 40' of line. Its almost ridiculous when you think about it but so cool at the same time.

The only other thing I know is that I plan to take the next step and pick up a 13' 7wt spey rod and reel set up. Might as well cover all the bases.

If you're on the fence of getting a 2 hander, I would encourage you to do so. I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you did.

• Members

That 8 will do just fine. If you're fishing high water, you'll probably want to check out a Skagit head and some sink tips. That 8wt. has enough butt to pull a 10'-12' piece of t-14 and big streamer out of the water.

Your Scandi head should do a wonderful job with long distance delicate presentations. Think dry flies and skaters.

Good old switch line does well in its own right. If you want something that will pickup a heavy indicator rig, and mail it 50-60', while still giving great mending ability- go for it.

Welcome to the club! You'll never look at these rivers the same anymore. Limited backcast room and high water are no longer a problem for you. Welcome, welcome, welcome.

• Members

Trapshot, you're welcome to meet me at taney and try casting my switch and spey rods. One warning though, it's addictive as anything. I have my rods rigged with Skagit heads, so they are very easy to cast. The point being, you can try my stuff before you spend a bunch of money.