Fish Story

littlejasper

• Members

Had a good friend of mine, James Miles , call me yesterday. He told me a fish story that I just had to share with you all. I called James back and with his permission, here goes.

He was fishing near Eagle Rock throwing his A-rig on eighty pound braid. On his third cast he hooked what he called a monster. Peeled thirty yards before slowing , would run at the boat and then make more hard runs. Said it took him about ten minutes to get the fish to the boat. If you have ever fished 80 pound braid, you know that is a long time. And if you know James, he is a straight shooter. When he finally got the fish up to the boat he reached to grab it behind the gills because it was so big. As he did, the fish rolled and immediately pulled one of the remaining A-rig heads thru the knuckle on his middle finger. James said he immediately threw his rod down as he was kneeling near the front of the boat and grabbed hold of the trolling motor. He told me at this time he was afraid the fish was going to pull him over. I was confused and a little skeptical, until he told me about the fish. It was a GIANT striper. James eventually managed to drag fish, A-rig, and hooked finger into the boat. Had to push the hook on through the finger and cut it off with his side snips before pulling it out! After getting the fish to the bank, it was weighed and verified by a local friend he had called and pictures were taken. The friend weighed it AFTER it was gutted, and it showed an amazing forty-seven pounds!!! James told me that if he had not grabbed the trolling motor when he did, he believes that fish could and would have pulled him over.

James is a little technologically challenged (just razzin you buddy) but I am in the process of trying to get the picture. Will try to post when received. Just to good not to share. Lengthy, but what good story isn't ?. Happy Thanksgiving and hope you enjoyed!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome story. Glad he's okay. If it was weighed before gutting, another Arkansas striper would have made a new state record. Lol!! Sorry. Could resist. :-)

Actually I thought there were no stripers in Table Rock? He must have been one of few spilling over from the White River out of Beaver Lake.

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

J Doc: The record book says the current Arkansas state record came from the White River BELOW Beaver dam - so technically, Table Rock. Jeff Fletcher, J.D.'s son, caught it.

J Doc: The record book says the current Arkansas state record came from the White River BELOW Beaver dam - so technically, Table Rock. Jeff Fletcher, J.D.'s son, caught it.

Yep I remember. The controversy and all. :-)

Thus why I mention it. :-)

I didn't think there was a stocking program on Table Rock so all the stripers came from Beaver Lake. If there is a stocking program, I'd like to know more about it. I'll be making more trips to the Rock! Lol

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

T V Tom, Was that you who James called there at Eagle Rock? I remember some years ago a dead Striper washed up on the ramp at Viola and it appeared to be in 40# class.