Bass Pro Buys Ranger, Triton, And Stratos

wdberkley

http://wired2fish.scout.com/story/1491046-bass-pro-buys-ranger-triton-and-stratos?s=537

Bass Pro Group has acquired Fish Holdings LLC makers of Ranger Boats, Triton Boats and Stratos Boats.

Here is the full release from the Bass Pro Group:

Bass Pro Group announced today an agreement to acquire Fishing Holdings, LLC, a manufacturer of fishing boats that include Ranger Boats and the Stratos and Triton boat brands from Platinum Equity.

The agreement combines popular fishing boat brands that are recognized internationally. It also creates another connection between two industry leaders, Bass Pro Shops founder/CEO Johnny Morris and Ranger Boats founder Forrest Wood, who are dedicated fishermen, conservationists and entrepreneurs. Years ago the iconic outdoorsmen both began fishing on the White River and White River Chain of Lakes in the Ozarks and even fished together in the first National BASS Tournaments.

“This partnership brings added long-term stability for both companies and for the dealer networks that provide customers with quality boats at exceptional values,” said Morris, who also is founder/CEO of Tracker Marine Group. “I’ve had the pleasure of knowing Forrest Wood many years, and I deeply respect him and his family that founded and built a solid performing business with excellent products.”

Morris added that: “It’s also important that our companies share comparable cultures and values and are dedicated to manufacturing quality products in the USA.”

Following the closing of the transaction, Fishing Holdings will continue operating independently under its existing management at its headquarters in Flippin, Ark., located a two-hour drive from Bass Pro Shops headquarters in Springfield.

“We are impressed with the company’s leadership team and performance and look forward to welcoming them to the Bass Pro Shops family,” said Morris.

“We are fortunate to partner with Bass Pro Group, which understands the industry and our brands,” said Fishing Holdings President Randy Hopper. “This new alliance will provide synergies that will strengthen our independent dealer base and ensure our continued focus on fishing.”

Having grown the business since its origins, Wood also praised the transaction. “I’m excited for Ranger and the team at Fishing Holdings,” he said. “Johnny’s organization is deeply rooted in fishing and dedicated to conservation. He’s made a huge contribution to our sport, and I believe this is a real opportunity to better serve so many dealers and loyal customers around the country.”

Both Morris and Wood have for many years generously donated their time and financial resources to support conservation efforts that help ensure a future for fishing by future generations.

The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals. Financial terms of the transaction were not publicly disclosed.

i was looking at a 98 champ 202 and a 98 ranger r93 that settles it i'm buying the ranger.

Wow. Didn't see that coming. Wonder how that will affect manufacturing? I would think this decision will trouble some people.

I imagine it troubles Yamaha, and the Evinrude division of Bombardier cuz they know all those boats will sell new with black outboards on them now.

I wonder if Cabelas will still sell ranger

The local Cabelas has Triton, Stratos, and Ranger but now that this has occured, my guess is no. I myself am not happy with this because I fear the parent company will drive down cost cutting measures to cut production costs and make the boats more affordable. That's how they mass produce the bejeezas out of their Nitro/Tracker lines. Cut production costs to make more sell more. That's why they are so affordable because they cut down on material costs. The reason Ranger is so much more than most is the quality of the resin used and the amount used (most Ranger glass hulls are thicker, thus more resin, thus more cost).

I myself fear this could be a bad thing. A monopoly. The only large bass boat companies not owned by Bass Pro will be Skeeter, Phoenix, Legend, and Bass Cat. And Skeeter is owned by Yamaha. Bass Cat, Legend, and Phoenix are the only independantly owned companies left.

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

I imagine it troubles Yamaha, and the Evinrude division of Bombardier cuz they know all those boats will sell new with black outboards on them now.

Excellent point. Hadn't even wrapped my brain around that one yet. Ranger has been plugging Rudes for quite a while. Not anymore....

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

I just wonder what difference it really makes. When you watch fishing shows with guys fishing around docks, it is amazing how many other types of boats are in the docks. From Loz, to Michigan, to New York. I used to wonder about this when I fished LOZ regularly. There is certainly a niche for the bassboat market, especially when it comes to add on options. But overall in the boat/outboard market, bass boats are a very small percentage. Pontoons, pleasure boats, aluminum rigs, wake boats, cruisers, etc. Heck of a lot more of them out there than bass boats. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Bass Cat and other family owned bass boat companies should be very happy. Prices for bassboats will only go up. But in the big scheme of things in the boat world, this really isn't much of a big deal.