Another Ned Rig Trick

gitnby

Wanting it down quickly will cost you fish. Just runs contrary to the entire concept. A super slow fall is exactly what you want. It is the opposite in every way of something like a 1/2oz FB jig.

Your 1/8 is right for anything from 15' out to 35' or so. Shallower you want to stick with the 1/16.

It is well known for being a hard bite to feel, except for the spring and summer fling. If you are set up right you won't feel the bait or the fish. Just a little "something" when you lift the tip slightly. More so in cold water.

I see now.

Well this bait would suck fishing it with wind over 5mph because the wind will put a bow in the line. I've seen that fishing crappie jigs in my 8 and 9ft crappie rods. It's hard to keep contact with the bait to feel "something" when there is an arch in the line.

I have not tried it shallow yet. I will definitely give it a try this spring/summer though.

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

Well this bait would suck fishing it with wind over 5mph because the wind will put a bow in the line

:grin:

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

I see now.

Well this bait would suck fishing it with wind over 5mph because the wind will put a bow in the line. I've seen that fishing crappie jigs in my 8 and 9ft crappie rods. It's hard to keep contact with the bait to feel "something" when there is an arch in the line.

I have not tried it shallow yet. I will definitely give it a try this spring/summer though.

Doc...that bow in your line is exactly what you want with the Ned. You don't want to feel it or have contact with it. Showed that to Bill Richey last spring and he thought it was probably 4 or 5 bites to one. Also why a lot of kids and ladies put it on the guys. They just let it be-bop along and don't get in the way of it.

Wind is your friend, just like with anything else. Just have to get a little closer, make shorter casts, plan around it. One of my best days last year was in April (29th I think, can check the archived reports). Front coming in, wind howling 20+, something like 15 keepers between 830 and 2pm or so, plus shorts. Typical stupid smallmouth weather.

Once you give up trying to feel the bait or the fish you will whack them. That and slowing down are the hardest parts, and are mostly upstairs.