OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
trythisonemv

Capps Stocked Six Times A Year

That makes sense Tim. I had great days up until about the second week of January I think. Jtram don't be stealing my monster now ! I hope that guy hangs around until I get a day off!

Also I think the low volume of fish is directly related to the over abundance of New members to the "bucket brigade". I've seen hordes of people keeping fish down there.

Also I think the low volume of fish is directly related to the over abundance of New members to the "bucket brigade". I've seen hordes of people keeping fish down there.

This is one of the reasons that I have not fished Hickory or Capps in over four years. Shame too as these are both beautiful fisheries but the enforcement just doesn't seem to be there. Additionally, I don't think you can keep these two waters productive while allowing anglers to keep four trout per day as the streams are just too small. I might have to make it down to Capps again sometime as it is a beautiful stream, but I will definitely make it a mere stop over trip as opposed to a destination given the hit and miss nature of the fishery.

If we could just put a slot limit on the rainbows and convince the locals how much better this stream could be, and if we could limit the bait fishing section to the second bridge, then we might see a real gem of a fishery emerge. But again, that was a lot of ifs in one sentence, and I am not convinced that we will ever see the true potential of this fishery.

There are poachers at Hickory. Ollie and I have seen that firsthand.But it's much better than it was in the first couple of years. It is C & R from November 1st through the end of February. Capps on the other hand is catch & keep year round. It doesn't take long for a few keepers to pass the word and then the stocking is wiped out. I don't fish Capps as much as I used to for that very reason. It is a shame too. I love the creek for it's wildness. Unfortunately it's stocked lightly and in very predictable locations.

It doesn't help that all that brush is piled up at the walleye rd access they can't run up the creek and escape.

I saw a guy the other day taking a couple out of Hickory right in front of the sign. Even though it is C&R there isn't hardly any fish left in the creek. Yea, it's not high on the priority list for our agent it seems like.