Smallmouth Fly Selection

jtram

. They cast fine, no problem there.

I'm sure THEY do, I was talking about me and my so called casting skills. :grin:

I did get an 8wt TFO BVK for Xmas that I'm dying to try out. Still choosing my reel and lines.

So what kind of hook do you use for those foam poppers, Wrench? I've got some 3/0 bass bug hooks that might take a pretty beefy one. And what kind of glue- crazy glue, or some kind of epoxy?

WARNING!! Comments to be interpreted at own risk.

Time spent fishing is never wasted.

I use a TMC 8089 #6, or a Mustad 3366 #1/0

For laminating the sheets of foam I use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, and for attaching to hook I use the Loc-tite super glue gel. (Be sure to cover the hook with thread....the glue doesn't hold very well to a bare hook).

Aha. I've got B10s in 6-1/0, and then some Daiichi 2720 in 3/0.

I'm going to try Locktite Go2 Glue for laminating the sheets and then regular old super glue to hold it to the hook. Thinking about adding a heavy mono cross-brace (tied in a-la dumbell eyes) at the fold to add a little extra resistance to foam sliding up. Or I might just go for rubber legs before I fold it over.

Regardless, have to make it through these next couple weeks first before I can do any tying.

WARNING!! Comments to be interpreted at own risk.

Time spent fishing is never wasted.

The cool thing about these is that if you fish it in long fast strips (like a streamer) the cinched down waist behind the big flat face creates a constant gurgling noise like a buzzbait and the fly wiggles like a crankbait at the same time. Really cool!

• Members

Weather getting better and I'm getting excited. Personally all the really large smallies I've caught have been on wooly buggers with a brass head . Even so I spend most of the time fishing with some kind of topwater,just because it is fun. Usaully use my 8 weight in case I decide to throw some of those crawdad/sculpin things I tied 20 years ago that I still carry around. Hope everyone has a great spring. Nothing like smallies on a fly rod for fun.