What's Cooking?

ness

12 hours ago, Mitch f said:

image.jpg

That's gonna be good!

I love the stuff, and made a terrific basic beef and vegetable soup out of it. But it's a lengthy process for sure. I made mine without salt but of course it got some in the final soup.

Did about what @rps said but with some peppercorns too. My notes say 10-14 hours initially, remove solids first through colander then through a fine strainer, reduce by ½ then refrigerate overnight and remove fat layer. Happy to cut/paste notes if you'd like.

John

MIL sent down some super thick cut Iowa chops. Brined them, dried them off and hit them with a healthy dose of my #4 rub. Done on the Weber with charcoal and some apple wood. Some Dragon Tongue beans from the garden and @Mitch f’s favorite tuber. 

ness 2.3 grabbed the plate, plopped in MY chair and wolfed half of it down before I could get the pic.

Can’t get no respect. 
5D04954E-BB5A-4A74-BD28-C975141C21D5.jpeg

John

2 hours ago, rps said:

Oh dear, left over lobster from Nancy's birthday. Guess I'll do a bowl thing.

fullsizeoutput_1c30.jpeg

It looks and sounds great. But...I gotta add -- that's the way to hard boil an egg! Can't stand an overcooked yolk.

John

51 minutes ago, ness said:

MIL sent down some super thick cut Iowa chops. Brined them, dried them off and hit them with a healthy dose of my #4 rub. Done on the Weber with charcoal and some apple wood. Some Dragon Tongue beans from the garden and @Mitch f’s favorite tuber. 

ness 2.3 grabbed the plate, plopped in MY chair and wolfed half of it down before I could get the pic.

Can’t get no respect. 
5D04954E-BB5A-4A74-BD28-C975141C21D5.jpeg

Apparently it’s not “your” chair.   Kinda like that robin all up in your porch😁

1 hour ago, ness said:

It looks and sounds great. But...I gotta add -- that's the way to hard boil an egg! Can't stand an overcooked yolk.

Punch a hole in the fat end of the egg with a tack or large needle. Lower eggs gently into rolling boil water. 8 minutes later remove them and put them in an ice water bath.

On 7/13/2020 at 11:22 AM, Terrierman said:

Canning some Amish sweet dill pickles this afternoon.  About half the cucumbers from out back, the other half from the market.  Canned NOTHING last year.  Really looking forward to getting back on that program.

Washed and trimmed, these turn into dilly beans tomorrow.

fullsizeoutput_1c38.jpeg

New book.0716200851.jpg

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead